A risk model predicted major bleeding in older patients with atrial fibrillation receiving warfarin therapy
- COMMENTARY: A risk model predicted major bleeding in older patients with atrial fibrillation receiving warfarin therapy. Garcia, David; Hylek, Elaine // ACP Journal Club;Mar/Apr2007, Vol. 146 Issue 2, p52
The article presents the authors' comment on a contemporary bleeding risk model (BRM) that predicts major bleeding in older patients with atrial fibrillation (AF). It is reported that the prevalence of AF and risk for warfarin-associated bleeding both increase with advancing age. The article...
- Warfarin therapy for atrial fibrillation in haemodialysis patients: mind the (evidence) gap. Szummer, Karolina; Carrero, Juan Jesús // Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation;Mar2015, Vol. 30 Issue 3, p337
No abstract available.
- UÄŒESTALOST KOMPLIKACIJA ANTITROMBOZNOG TRETMANA KOD BOLESNIKA SA ATRIJALNOM FIBRILACIJOM. ANUČIN, Slađana NOVAKOVIĆ; GNIP, Sanja; ČANAK, Višnja; RADOVIĆ, Pavica; KOVAČEV, Jelena; MITIĆ, Gorana // Medicinski Pregled / Medical Review;Nov/Dec2013, Vol. 66 Issue 11/12, p470
Introduction. Atrial fibrillation increases the risk of ischemic stroke five fold, while the application of long-term anticoagulant therapy is associated with the occurrence of hemorrhagic complications. The aim of our study was to evaluate the incidence of thrombotic and hemorrhagic...
- Commentary. Garcia, David; Hylek, Elaine // Evidence Based Medicine;Apr2007, Vol. 12 Issue 2, p57
The author comments on a study which investigates whether the contemporary bleeding risk model can predict major bleeding in patients with atrial fibrillation (AT) who are receiving warfarin therapy. It is asserted that the model accurately predicts the patient's risk of major bleeding, enabling...
- Is Warfarin Really Underused in Patients with Atrial Fibrillation? Weisbord, Steven D.; Whittle, Jeff; Brooks, Robert C. // JGIM: Journal of General Internal Medicine;Nov2001, Vol. 16 Issue 11, p743
CONTEXT: There is agreement that warfarin decreases stroke risk in patients with atrial fibrillation (AF), but prior studies suggest that warfarin is markedly underused, for unclear reasons. OBJECTIVE: To determine if warfarin is underused in the treatment of patients with atrial fibrillation....
- High-risk atrial fib: Adjusted-dose warfarin is still best treatment. // Geriatrics;Feb97, Vol. 52 Issue 2, p78
Presents an abstract of the article `Adjusted-dose warfarin versus low-intensity, fixed-dose warfarin plus aspirin for high-risk patients with atrial fibrillation: Stroke prevention in Atrial Fibrillation III randomised clinical trial,' published in a 1996 issue of the `Lancet' periodical.
- A risk model predicted major bleeding in older patients with atrial fibrillation receiving warfarin therapy. Shireman, T. I.; Mahnken, J. D.; Howard, P. A. // Evidence Based Medicine;Apr2007, Vol. 12 Issue 2, p57
The article offers information on a study which investigates whether the contemporary bleeding risk model can predict major bleeding in patients with atrial fibrillation (AT) who are receiving warfarin therapy. It is conducted on patients at hospital discharge, excluding those discharged against...
- Risk assessment for bleeding during warfarin therapy. Kuritzky, Louis // Internal Medicine Alert;12/15/2010 Supplement, p183
The article offers information on the role of the HAS-BLED stratification tool in evaluating one-year risk of bleeding in patients with atrial fibrillation (AF) who were undergoing warfarin therapy.
- The challenges of oral anticoagulation. Deblinger, Larry // Patient Care;12/15/2000, Vol. 34 Issue 23, p33
Discusses the risk-benefit profile of oral anticoagulant drug, warfarin in preventing thromboembolism. Consequences of underuse of the drug by patients with nonvalvular atrial fibrillation; Clinical pharmacology; Initiation of warfarin therapy; Challenges of warfarin therapy management;...