China, India Emerge as Textbook Markets and Production Sites
- January Is Slow Start to Year; PreK-12 Sales Decline 18.7%. // Educational Marketer;4/2/2007, Vol. 38 Issue 7, p4
The article reports on the developments surrounding the K-12 publishing sales performance. Sales were down by double digits in all categories in both adoption states and open territories. Total basal net sales declined 21% to $41.4 million from $52.3 million in January 2006. Furthermore, total...
- Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Forms Single K-12 Division. // Electronic Education Report;12/1/2008, Vol. 15 Issue 23, p4
The article reports that Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (HMH) had combined the operations of its siloed school businesses into a single K-12 division including K-5 textbook publishing operation School Publishers, secondary textbook publisher Holt McDougal and HMH Supplemental Publishers.
- The Terrible Texts. McCollister, Betty // Humanist;Nov/Dec93, Vol. 53 Issue 6, p40
Comments on the declining quality of textbooks for elementary and secondary school. Typical headings from `The Textbook Letter'; Main reasons why some poorly written texts are accepted for publishing.
- The burden of history. Wunsch, James // Phi Delta Kappan;Feb94, Vol. 75 Issue 6, p492
Discusses the need to eradicate math, science, and history books that are not being read by students and are costly on the part of school budgets. Softcover books printed in black and white as an alternative; Cheaper production cost; Possibility of updating annually cheap books; Need for...
- Publishers. // Science Teacher;Feb94, Vol. 61 Issue 2, p74S
Lists textbook publishers, program and resource material publishers and tradebook publishers. Instructional level of materials; Availability of notation of supplemental items; Indication of teacher's editions and special editions.
- Books that make a difference. // Publishers Weekly;9/23/1996, Vol. 243 Issue 39, pS27
Comments on the kind of publishing that is at the core of the Latin American book business. Textbook publishing, as the foundation; How the peso crisis in Mexico forced textbook publishers to rethink strategies; The growth in importance of home educational products and practical edcucational...
- Publish--and then perish? Kelly, Martyn // New Scientist;3/19/94, Vol. 141 Issue 1917, p49
Narrates the author's experience in publishing a textbook for biology students in Nigeria. High cost of books in Nigeria; Lack of time for Nigerian teachers to write textbooks; Problems in looking for a publisher; `Launching ceremony' to raise funds for the publication.
- PORTFOLIO STRATEGISTS' AVERAGED RECOMMENDATIONS. // Bank Investment Consultant;Mar2003, Vol. 11 Issue 3, p33
Forecasts economic and financial market indicators and provides recommendations on investments in the U.S. financial markets as of March 2003. Charts provided depicting the percentage of investments recommended in intermediate stocks, bonds and cash.
- Expectations, Markets, and the 'Political' Economy. // Economic Trends (07482922);Nov2000, p4
Focuses on the methods used to measure peoples' expectations about markets and the political economy. Measurement of information on inflation expectations; Use of market information to gauge other events; Information on the Iowa Electronic Markets.