First-Hand Reports Critical in Near Misses
- NIOSH updates firefighter fatality investigation blog. // Fire Engineering;Feb2009, Vol. 162 Issue 2, p50
The article provides the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) Science Blog Web site where members of the fire service can provide feedback related to the NIOSH Fire Fighter Fatality Investigation and Prevention Program. The website is also presented where firefighters...
- Johns Hopkins reports on Anne Arundel County (MD) firefighter training-cancer connection. // Fire Engineering;Oct2005, Vol. 158 Issue 10, p50
Reports on the investigation of the Johh Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health concerning the group of fire fighter's risk for developing cancer in Anne Arundel County, Maryland. Details of the cancer diagnosis; Results of the diagnosis; Web site information regarding the full report of the...
- Here Come the Firefighters! // Scholastic News -- Edition 2;Oct2005, Vol. 62 Issue 2, p2
Provides information on firefighters.
- MEET A FIREFIGHTER. // Scholastic News -- Edition 2 (Teacher's Edition);Oct2001, Vol. 58 Issue 2, p7
Presents a guide to teaching about firefighter.
- HEAT WAVE. DOUGLAS, KRISTEN // Editor & Publisher;Jun2012, Vol. 145 Issue 6, p16
A photograph of a fire drill conducted by Campbell River firefighters, British Columbia, is presented.
- 19 firefighters die in Ariz. wildfire (with related video). // Fire Chief Expert Blog;7/ 1/2013, p1
The article reports on the death of 19 members of the Granite Mountain Hotshots of the Fire Department of Prescott, Arizona who were trying to put out the Yarnell Hill Fire.
- A cooperative approach to building a healthier fire service. // Fire Engineering;Jan1998, Vol. 151 Issue 1, p53
Discusses The Fire Service Joint Labor Management Well/Fitness Initiative. Information about the Initiative; Provision for comprehensive mandatory annual medical exams by the fire department; Provision for workout scheduling, resource support and/or access to resources on duty to support...
- Everyone Should Have One. CIAMPO, MICHAEL N. // Fire Engineering;Feb2011, Vol. 164 Issue 2, p132
A personal narrative is presented which explores the author's experience of having a backup firefighter.
- Braggin' rights go to Kyle Fire Dept. // Hays Free Press (Buda, TX);10/18/2006, Vol. 103 Issue 27, Special Section p1
The article presents the photographs of the 2006 annual Kyle Fire department function.