Nearshore Saltwater SportFish OF NEW YORK
- They come, they die, they stink to high heaven. Conniff, R. // Yankee;Jun92, Vol. 56 Issue 6, p82
Discusses possible reasons why the Atlantic menhaden, fish also known as pogies, have been dying by the millions along the coast of Maine each summer since the 1980s. Experiment designed to prevent fish from entering coastal channels and rivers;Lack of oxygen in pogy-packed channels; Role of...
- Puff to be tuff. Walsh, K. // Ranger Rick;Jan90, Vol. 24 Issue 1, p10
Provides information on the puffer fish, a fish that swells two or three times its normal size, in order to protect itself. How the fish's skin stretches as it inhales water; Types of puffer fish; Fugu, a puffer fish that is eaten in Japan.
- How the pufferfish got its puff. Zimmer, Carl // Discover;Sep97, Vol. 18 Issue 9, p30
Traces the evolution of the pufferfish. Evolutionary tree; Relationship with tripodfish, sunfish and triggerfish; Defense against predators.
- Depleting Saltwater's Indispensable Fish. Jensen, Shawn // Fly Fisherman;Sep2008, Vol. 39 Issue 6, p18
The article focuses on the conservation of Atlantic menhaden, a sportfish found on the Atlantic coast.
- The Dirt on Fish Fertilizer. Kunda, Kim; Sullivan, Dan // OG;May/Jun2002, Vol. 49 Issue 3, p10
Discusses the use of the Atlantic menhaden, a bony, highly oily filter-feeding fish, as a fertilizer. Status of the fish's population; Effect of an overfertilized land on the environment; Significance of the fish in ocean ecology.
- SAVING MENHADEN. // Fly Fisherman;May2004, Vol. 35 Issue 4, p31
Presents information on overfishing of Atlantic menhaden, which are considered to be an important food source for striped bass.
- Conservation Group Seeks Support for Menhaden-Fishing Ban in Chesapeake Bay. // Salt Water Sportsman;Sep2003, Vol. 64 Issue 9, p32
Focuses on the efforts of the National Coalition for Marine Conservation to prohibit industrial-scale fishing for Atlantic menhaden in Chesapeake Bay.
- REGULATORS DELAY PROTECTION OF BUNKER IN CHESAPEAKE BAY. // Salt Water Sportsman;Feb2005, Vol. 66 Issue 2, p61
Reports on the development of a management plan for the protection of the Atlantic menhaden fish.
- Amazing Changes. // Scholastic News -- Edition 3;03/20/2000, Vol. 56 Issue 20, p2
Provides information on animals like chameleon and puffer, which can change their bodies to survive.