Joining the Gun Battle
- Hock heaven. Speizer, Irwin // Business North Carolina;Apr97, Vol. 17 Issue 4, p44
Features the pawnshops in North Carolina. Information on the CSI Jewelry Exchange owned by Phil and Troy Brown; Berlin's Pawn and Jewelry Shop owned by Stewart Auten; Cash America International Inc. managed by Joe Walkowiak. INSETS: Pawns and their game.;realities about pawnshops.
- Funds on the fringe. Berger, Susan // Regional Review;Spring92, Vol. 2 Issue 2, p3
Reports on the increasing dependence to pawnshops by the poor in New England. Factors which explain higher transaction costs in pawnshops; Comparison between the cost of encashing checks and maintaining a checking account; Closure by banks of lesser profitable banks.
- L.V. pawn shops ambassadors to tourists, resources to locals. Baker, Chuck N. // Las Vegas Business Press;03/24/97, Vol. 14 Issue 12, p24
Discusses the pawn business industry in Las Vegas, Nevada. Pawnbroker's use of personal property as collateral for loans; Tourists as a main source of business; Pawn shop management; Improvements in the perception of the pawn business; Banking industry's relation with the pawn business.
- Business for sale--Nevada pawnshop. Fraser, Jill Andresky // Inc.;Apr96, Vol. 18 Issue 5, p140
Profiles a pawnbrokerage in Nevada that is for sale as of April 1, 1996. Financial summary for 1993-1995; Price; Outlook; Price rationale; Pros and cons; Contact point.
- Regulation of pawnshops. Bunye, Ignacio R. // Filipino Reporter;5/4/2012, Vol. 40 Issue 22, p36
The author discusses the need to regulate pawnshops in the Philippines.
- The pawn of a new era is upon us. Auster, Bruce B. // U.S. News & World Report;12/08/97, Vol. 123 Issue 22, p64
Considers how pawnshop chains are transforming the business with new markets, new customers and a new image. How the steady emergence is sparking consolidation in a marketplace long dominated by poorly run mom and pop pawnshops; The four major chains that are buying out some of the smaller...
- Troubled times bringing princes to pawns. Ash, Leonard D. // San Diego Business Journal;9/26/94, Vol. 15 Issue 39, p18A
Features Family Pawn and Loan in San Diego, California. Typical customers; Items accepted; Percentage of customers who retrieve their goods; Paperwork involved in the business.
- Observations. Barker, Paul // New Statesman;01/24/97, Vol. 126 Issue 4318, p54
Makes observations about the pawnbroker. Pawnbrokers in Great Britain; History of the trade; Difference with the new-style `sale-and-buy-back' traders; Becoming a financial house.
- The New Pawn Shop. Erhlich, John // Psychology Today;May/Jun99, Vol. 32 Issue 3, p15
Looks at the improvement of the services of pawnshops in the United States. Statistics on the ethnic use of pawnshop; Interest rate pawnshops charge to their clients.