News @ a glance
- IN BRIEF. // BMJ: British Medical Journal (Overseas & Retired Doctors Edition;10/24/2009, Vol. 339 Issue 7727, p942
This section offers news briefs on medicine and health care from around the world. A study found that the mortality of HIV patients in developed countries who start antiretroviral treatment and survive the first six months is higher than in the general population. Peru is encouraged by the human...
- St. Michael's Hospital receives Grand Challenges Explorations funding Dr. Ostrowski hopes to develop a vaccine that would eliminate the HIV from infected people. // Biomedical Market Newsletter;11/16/2011, Vol. 21, p196
The article reports that St. Michael's Hospital in Toronto, Ontario will receive funding through the Grand Challenges Explorations initiative. It mentions that Grand Challenges Explorations is an initiative by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, which enables researchers to test ideas for...
- Vaccines Get a Boost. // Pharmaceutical Representative;Mar2010, Vol. 40 Issue 3, p9
The article reports that the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation has pledged to donate 10 billion dollars over the next ten years to help global research and development in the delivery of vaccines in poor and developing countries.
- Regulatory & Healthcare News. // PharmacoEconomics & Outcomes News;8/26/2006, Issue 510, p10
The article presents news briefs on health care. The DKMA, the Danish medicines agency, has published a list of prescription medicines eligible for restricted reimbursement. More than $287 million in grants to assist the development of HIV vaccines was provided by the Bill & Melinda Gates...
- The global value of vaccination. McWilliams, Pauline // PharmacoEconomics & Outcomes News;6/25/2011, Issue 631, p3
The article discusses three studies on the Decade of Vaccines as pledges during the conference held by the Global Alliance for Vaccines and Immunisation (GAVI) in London, England on June 13, 2011 reached 4.3 billion U.S. dollars. It notes that the economics of the 10-year initiative is based on...
- Gates Foundation seeks innovative concepts for animal vaccines. // Veterinary Record: Journal of the British Veterinary Association;11/15/2014, Vol. 175 Issue 19, p468
The article focuses on the move of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation to seek applications for funding from research projects with an aim to develop new animal vaccines.
- Vaccine funds will save lives. Willyard, Cassandra // Nature Medicine;Mar2010, Vol. 16 Issue 3, p243
The article reports on the intention of Gates Foundation to donate 10 billion dollars to fund vaccine research, development and delivery in the U.S. in 2020.
- GSK to go cold turkey and quit the fridge. // TCE: The Chemical Engineer;Dec2013/Jan2014, Issue 870/871, p8
The article reports on a joint project between healthcare company GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) and nonprofit Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation that aims to bring malaria and HIV drugs to those living in the hottest and poorest regions, by making vaccines more resistant to heat.
- In brief. // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);4/5/2003, Vol. 326 Issue 7392, p728
Offers news briefs related to world health as of April 5, 2003. Report that skin cancer kills more Britons than Australians each year; Endowment of $60 million from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation to the International Partnership for Microbicides for the prevention of HIV infections;...