A Sort of Homecoming
- Why choppers go down. Schultz, Stacey // U.S. News & World Report;4/7/2003, Vol. 134 Issue 11, p28
Discusses the dangers faced by U.S. Army helicopters flying low over enemy forces in Iraq. How an Apache helicopter was taken down by Iraqi fire from small arms and shoulder-fired missiles; How Americans were taken as prisoners of war; Consideration of the armor and backup systems on the...
- KEEPING Iraq GROUNDED. Arana-Barradas, Lois A. // Airman;Nov2000, Vol. 44 Issue 11, p2
Provides information on the military program Operation Northern Watch (ONW) of the United States Air Force to save Turkey from being attacked by Iraqi warplanes. Details on the daily routines of ONW troops; Monitoring on the compliance of Iraq with the United Nations resolution; Maintenance of...
- Riding the Tide. Roberts, Chuck // Airman;Mar2003, Vol. 47 Issue 3, p2
Points out that the centennial of flight in the U.S. is paved with technological breakthroughs and quantum leaps such as radar, jet engines, precision guided missiles and nuclear weapons. Origin of the jet engine; First combat aircraft; Correlation between the Air Force and technological...
- There I was. // Flying Safety;Oct94, Vol. 50 Issue 10, preceding p1
Details how a C-130 crew of the United States Air Force managed to land in their home base despite lack of fuel and bad weather. Diversion after two trips in the holding pattern; Pilot's request for a direct clearance and announcement of minimum fuel.
- F-15C/D radar modernisation. Macrae, Duncan // Interavia Business & Technology;Dec94, Vol. 49 Issue 585, p37
Reports on the plan of the United States Air Force (USAF) to modernize more than 350 F-15C/D series Eagles for service well into the 21st century. Companies which were given contracts; Programs underway.
- Trainers. Beal, Lonny; Arnold, Tim; Frenczhalmy, Tom // Flying Safety;Jan/Feb2007, Vol. 63 Issue 1/2, p34
This article offers a look at the mishaps and mishap rates of the U.S. Air Force's T-1 community for fiscal year 2006.
- Engines. McDonald, Brian; Greenwood, Rich; Wolff, Bob // Flying Safety;Jan/Feb2007, Vol. 63 Issue 1/2, p44
This article elaborates on some engine-related mishaps experienced by U.S. Air Force aircrafts for fiscal year 2006.
- USAF CLASS A FLIGHT MISHAPS. // Flying Safety;Jan/Feb2007, Vol. 63 Issue 1/2, p51
This article looks at the aviation mishaps and mishap rates of the U.S. Air Force from October 2005 to January 2006 and October 2006 to January 2007.
- News breaks. // Aviation Week & Space Technology;11/13/1995, Vol. 143 Issue 20, p17
Reports on the possible use of renovated Boeing 747 airplanes by the US Air Force to find targets for its proposed fleet of airborne laser aircraft.