- First-aid moves all hosts should know. // Consumer Reports on Health;Dec2013, Vol. 25 Issue 12, p10
The article presents information on first aid techniques which consumers can use during holiday parties to assist guests that are experiencing one of several different medical problems, including heart attack, hemorrhage or a bad fall. Step-by-step instructions that consumers can use to perform...
- Meet a Heimlich Hero. // Weekly Reader News - Edition 3;11/18/2005, Vol. 75 Issue 11, p3
Presents information on performing the Heimlich maneuver. Importance of the move to people who are choking; Steps involved in the Heimlich maneuver; Benefit from the technique. INSET: How to Perform the Heimlich Maneuver.
- HEIMLICH TO THE RESCUE. // Weekly Reader News - Edition 4;2/25/2005, Vol. 86 Issue 19, p3
Focuses on the lifesaving move called the Heimlich maneuver. Definition of the Heimlich maneuver; Impetus to the discovery of the approach; Steps in performing the Heimlich maneuver.
- Heimlich manoeuvre. Peters, Michael // BMA A-Z Family Medical Encyclopedia;2004, p374
An encyclopedia entry for "Heimlich manoeuvre" is presented. It refers to a first-aid treatment for choking. The method aims to dislodge the material that is causing the blockage. The method forces air out of the airways and should help to dislodge any blockage.
- Outside In. Newnham, David // Nursing Standard;2/18/2004, Vol. 18 Issue 23, p31
Offers tips on how to prevent toddlers from choking. Need to remind other children to keep their hazardous toys from reach of toddlers; Different food items that can pose as choking hazards; Importance of knowing the Heimlich maneuver.
- if someone is coughing & choking, pat her on the back. // Shape;Oct2009, Vol. 29 Issue 2, p93
The article discusses how whacking someone on the back when they are coughing or choking can actually make matters worse. Joseph Martinez, M.D., an assistant professor of emergency medicine at the University of Maryland, explains how patting someone on the back can lodge the obstruction further...
- A life-threatening complication of a life-saving manoeuvre. Yang-Yuan Chen; Maw-Soan Soon; Hsu-Heng Yen; Hwa-Koon Wu // Gut;Mar2007, Vol. 56 Issue 3, p364
The article presents a medical history of an 80-year old woman suffered from airway obstruction as well as offers as guide question concerning the case. While eating dinner at home, the patient had airway blockage and rapidly became cyanotic and unresponsive. The Heimlich maneuver was...
- Here's a Hero. // Scholastic News -- Edition 3;5/5/2008, Vol. 64 Issue 23/24, p3
The article discusses the Heimlich maneuver through citing the story of how Connor Chesshir saved Jesse Zimmel from choking during one lunch time.
- A Lifesaving Hug. // Scholastic News -- Edition 4;02/21/2000, Vol. 62 Issue 18, p6
Provides information on the Heimlich maneuver.