A life-threatening complication of a life-saving manoeuvre
- Meet a Heimlich Hero. // Weekly Reader News - Edition 3;11/18/2005, Vol. 75 Issue 11, p3
Presents information on performing the Heimlich maneuver. Importance of the move to people who are choking; Steps involved in the Heimlich maneuver; Benefit from the technique. INSET: How to Perform the Heimlich Maneuver.
- HEIMLICH TO THE RESCUE. // Weekly Reader News - Edition 4;2/25/2005, Vol. 86 Issue 19, p3
Focuses on the lifesaving move called the Heimlich maneuver. Definition of the Heimlich maneuver; Impetus to the discovery of the approach; Steps in performing the Heimlich maneuver.
- EDITOR'S QUIZ. // Gut;Mar2007, Vol. 56 Issue 3, p372
The article presents the diagnosis and results of medical tests of the 80-year-old woman suffered from an airway obstruction. The computed tomography scan of the patient revealed an intact esophagus and aorta but extravasation of the contrast agent was noted in the gastric cardia. The Heimlich...
- Outside In. Newnham, David // Nursing Standard;2/18/2004, Vol. 18 Issue 23, p31
Offers tips on how to prevent toddlers from choking. Need to remind other children to keep their hazardous toys from reach of toddlers; Different food items that can pose as choking hazards; Importance of knowing the Heimlich maneuver.
- if someone is coughing & choking, pat her on the back. // Shape;Oct2009, Vol. 29 Issue 2, p93
The article discusses how whacking someone on the back when they are coughing or choking can actually make matters worse. Joseph Martinez, M.D., an assistant professor of emergency medicine at the University of Maryland, explains how patting someone on the back can lodge the obstruction further...
- Heimlich manoeuvre. Peters, Michael // BMA A-Z Family Medical Encyclopedia;2004, p374
An encyclopedia entry for "Heimlich manoeuvre" is presented. It refers to a first-aid treatment for choking. The method aims to dislodge the material that is causing the blockage. The method forces air out of the airways and should help to dislodge any blockage.
- Here's a Hero. // Scholastic News -- Edition 3;5/5/2008, Vol. 64 Issue 23/24, p3
The article discusses the Heimlich maneuver through citing the story of how Connor Chesshir saved Jesse Zimmel from choking during one lunch time.
- A Lifesaving Hug. // Scholastic News -- Edition 4;02/21/2000, Vol. 62 Issue 18, p6
Provides information on the Heimlich maneuver.
- Heimlich Hero. // Weekly Reader News - Edition 4;11/7/2003, Vol. 85 Issue 11, p3
Describes the Heimlich maneuver, an emergency action that can be used on a choking person. Steps involved in the maneuver; Importance of teaching the emergency action to children.