THOUGHTS ON THE BUSINESS OF LIFE
- Wise, foolish, enchanting Lady Mary. Epstein, Joseph // New Criterion;Jan95, Vol. 13 Issue 5, p8
Focuses on the life of Lady Mary Wortley Montagu. Childhood; Youth; Family background; Love life; Philosophy in life.
- THE DATING OF THE LADY'S CURIOSITY AND LADY MONTAGU'S 'THE FIFTH ODE OF HORACE IMITATED' Bataille, Robert R. // American Notes & Queries;Feb1980, Vol. 18 Issue 6, p87
Focuses on the dating of Lady Mary Wortley Montagu's 'Essays and Poems' and 'The Fifth Ode of Horace Imitated.' Publication date of 'The Lady's Curiosity'; Evidence for accepting the 1738 date for 'The Lady's Curiosity.'
- VOYEURISM AND AESTHETICS IN THE TURKISH BATH: LADY MARY'S SCHOOL OF FEMALE BEAUTY. Weitzman, Arthur J. // Comparative Literature Studies;2002, Vol. 39 Issue 4, p347
Discusses Mary Wortley Montagu's depiction of Turkish women in her travel writings during the 18th century. Rana Kabbani's criticism of Montagu's writings; Encounters with Turkish women that enabled Montagu to develop the paradox of the free Muslim woman as compared to the confined European...
- Female heroism and legal discourse in Lady Mary Wortley Montagu's `Epistle from Mrs. Y[Onge] to... Snyder, Elizabeth // English Language Notes;Jun97, Vol. 34 Issue 4, p10
Discusses the presence of female heroism and legal discourse in Lady Mary Wortley Montagu's poem entitled `Epistle from Mrs. Yonge to her Husband.' Legal discourse that women are `weak submissive sex'; Manipulation on the denotation of submission; Conventional social judgment used in the...
- The aesthetics of intimacy: Lady Mary Wortley Montagu and her readers. Gardner, Kevin J. // Papers on Language & Literature;Spring98, Vol. 34 Issue 2, p113
Examines the letter writing style of Lady Mary Wortley Montagu. Reference to letters written to her sister, the Countess of Mar; Details on the intimacy between the two sisters which was revealed through the letters; Indication that letter-writing is an art form; Details on the potential of...
- The poet and the pox. Pain, Stephanie // New Scientist;1/18/2003, Vol. 177 Issue 2378, p44
Presents information on the history of the disease smallpox. Prevalence of the disease in England; Smallpox inoculation in China; Efforts of an English lady Mary Wortley regarding smallpox inoculation; Expansion of smallpox inoculation invented by Mary Wortley; Disadvantages of the inoculation.
- IDENTIFYING PLACE NAMES IN HUNGARY USED BY LADY MARY WORTLEY MONTAGU. Horwath, Peter // English Language Notes;Mar1988, Vol. 25 Issue 3, p36
Identifies various places in Hungary presented in the letters of Lady Mary Wortley Montagu. Places associated with the place name Comora; Records of phonetic transcription; Letters addressed to Alexander Pope.
- Orientalism, Gender and Class in Lady Mary Mortley Montagu's Turkish Embassy Letters: To Persons of. Secor, Anna // ECUMENE;Oct99, Vol. 6 Issue 4, p375
Aims to contribute to the body of work on women's travel narratives and to distinguish the `Turkish Embassy Letters' as a text produced in the material context of eighteenth-century gender relations. Argument on Lady Mary Wortley Montagu's travel narrative; Representation of oriental woman;...
- Why did the Turks meet the Wortley Montagus at `Betsko' (1717)? Horwarth, Peter // English Language Notes;Mar1992, Vol. 29 Issue 3, p24
Focuses on why the Turks met the Sit Wortley and Lady Mary Montagu at Betsko in 1717. General view that at the Peace of Carlovitz in 1699, all of Syrmia had been transferred to Austria.