Bill proposes changes to school foodservice
- Menu Makeover. // FoodService Director;1/1/2011, Vol. 24 Issue 1, p8
The article focuses on the redevelopment of menus for children at the Peninsula School District in Gig Harbor, Washington under the Action Communities for Health, Innovation and Environmental Change (ACHIEVE) committee. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has funded the initiative....
- Competitive Foods and Beverages Available for Purchase in Secondary Schools -- Selected Sites, United States, 2006. Brener, N.; Kann, L.; O'Toole, T.; Wechsler, H.; Kimmons, J. // MMWR: Morbidity & Mortality Weekly Report;8/29/2008, Vol. 57 Issue 34, p935
The article presents the findings by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) on competitive foods and beverages sold from vending machines or at school stores, canteens and snacks. Said study aims to improve dietary behavior and prevent obesity among the students. Data from...
- News From the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Voelker, Rebecca // JAMA: Journal of the American Medical Association;11/26/2014, Vol. 312 Issue 20, p2084
This section offers news briefs from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention as of November 2014. It reports the result of a study on the association between excessive salt intake and risk for developing later diseases among children who ate store foods and school cafeteria foods....
- policy healthcare. // Hill;3/3/2014, Vol. 21 Issue 26, p13
No abstract available.
- Outbreak. // World (0888157X);3/22/2014, Vol. 29 Issue 6, p13
The article reports the move by U.S. Senator Barbara Boxer as of late March 2014 to officially request the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to investigate the 20 or more cases of children with polio-like symptoms, including paralysis, in California.
- POSSIBLE FUNDING SOURCES FOR FARM-TO-SCHOOL PROGRAMS. // Linking Farms with Schools: A Guide to Understanding Farm-to-Sch;Mar2004, p26
The article reviews several funding farm-to-school program web sites, including www.reeusda.gov., www.ocd.usda.gov., and www.fns.usda.gov.
- Decline in Schools Selling Candy, Snacks Reported by CDC. // Education Week;10/14/2009, Vol. 29 Issue 7, p4
The article discusses a report from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention indicating that the proportion of public schools offering unhealthy snacks to students dropped from 2006 to 2008. The mean proportion of secondary schools selling sugary or salty snacks dropped from 54...
- SOUP it up! // FoodService Director;11/15/2002, Vol. 15 Issue 11, p55
Reports on the popularity of soup among meal producers and consumers in the U.S. Variety of soup offered at Fairport Central School in New York; Favorite soup of students; Comments from Steve Myers, executive chef at the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor.
- District and Hospital Partner to Bring Healthy Foods to Students. // FoodService Director;3/15/2010, Vol. 23 Issue 3, p11
The article discusses the collaboration of the foodservice divisions of Cooperstown Central Schools and Mary Imogene Bassett Hospital in serving healthy lunch menus to students.