A Place to Call HOME
- The kindness of strangers. Helton, Arthur // Africa Report;Mar/Apr94, Vol. 39 Issue 2, p33
Reports on the plight of the refugees all over Africa. Refugees displaced by political turmoil in their native African countries; Fear of retribution by their homeland government; Question on the capacity of the home and host countries to provide support for the refugees; Refusal of the...
- Bring us your spousally abused. // Alberta Report / Newsmagazine;2/1/93, Vol. 20 Issue 7, p21
Announces that Canadian immigration officials delayed the deportation of a Caribbean woman who claimed refugee status because she said her husband beat her. Move as victory for the National Action Committee on the Status of Women; Spousal abuse as grounds for refugee status.
- Inviting in two billion `refugees.' Koch, George // Alberta Report / Newsmagazine;2/22/93, Vol. 20 Issue 10, p10
Discusses efforts to make `gender-based persecution' a legitimate criterion for claiming refugee status in Canada. A case involving a Saudi Arabian woman; Fears of a cataclysmic flood of female claimants; Refugee status and the 1951 Geneva Convention; Problems with defining refugee status too...
- Refugees & torture. // Australian Nursing Journal;Dec96/Jan97, Vol. 4 Issue 6, p18
Focuses on the refugees in Australia. Role of nurses for survivors of torture; Implication of torture on refugees; Pressures confronting refugees; Human rights abuse; Complication in the resettlement process of refugees; Provision of cross-cultural or trans-cultural care by nurses.
- US must rescue Kurds who trusted US employers. Frelick, Bill // Christian Science Monitor;11/8/96, Vol. 88 Issue 242, p19
Opinion. Discusses United States' role in assisting the Kurdish refugees. Reference to the refusal of Kurdish refugees, by Turkey in 1991; Information on the principles of Turkey refugee protection; Information on Operation Provide Comfort.
- Changing the way we think of refugees. Frelick, Bill // Christian Science Monitor;6/10/97, Vol. 89 Issue 136, p18
Looks at the increasing trend where nations reject refugees who seek asylum in their country. Information on the World Refugee Survey; Distinction between real asylum and pseudo-asylum; Details on the refugee situation in Zaire; Prevailing attitude with regards to refugees and asylum seekers.
- Protecting refugees. // Commonweal;2/8/85, Vol. 112 Issue 3, p68
Editorial. It is ironic that a nation of immigrants is being asked to judge a group of fellow citizens, in over 200 churches and synagogues, who have acted as an underground railway for Central American refugees. Extended voluntary departure status should be granted to the Central American...
- Lessons from Rwanda. Arnot, Bob // Good Housekeeping;Nov94, Vol. 219 Issue 5, p72
Discusses the author's personal account of the refugee center in Rwanda. Mass graves of bodies; Struggle to save lives; Need for support from Americans.
- Cuban bishops urge refugee solutions. // National Catholic Reporter;10/7/94, Vol. 30 Issue 43, p6
Reports on the move by Cuban bishops to urge the United States to seek a solution to Cuban refugees who are detained at U.S.-run camps. Factors that encouraged the bishops to make the call; Concerns on the family of the Cuban refugees.