- Outside directors and the CEO: Changing the rules. Neff, Thomas J. // Corporate Board;Jul/Aug90, Vol. 11 Issue 63, p7
Discusses various aspects of the relationship between corporate directors and chief executive officers (CEOs) concerning the reshaping of maximum shareholder equity. Ratio of outside and inside directors in corporations; Functions of independent directors; Related issues to CEO's selection of...
- The real world of separate chairmen. Wangler, Lawrence A. // Corporate Board;Sep/Oct94, Vol. 15 Issue 88, p21
Discusses the role of the separate chairman of the board of directors in American corporations. Debate over the need for board leadership independent of chief executive officers (CEO); Average tenure; Relationship with CEOs; Role in setting performance standards for CEO; Salaries and...
- Boards Can Help CEOs Succeed. Cornwall, Deborah; Gravenslund, Will; Dickson, Daryl // Corporate Board;Jul/Aug2002, Vol. 23 Issue 135, p10
While most directors realize that selecting a new CEO is one of their key duties, boards too often neglect the follow-through-mentoring the new CEO into an effective leader. Especially if the chief is a first-time CEO, it is the board's role to help the rookie and his team build the skills and...
- Why directors sometimes do--and often do not--evaluate CEOs thoroughly and thoughtfully. Alderfer, Clayton P. // NACD Directorship;Jun96 Supplement, Vol. 22 Issue 6, p4-11
Raises questions about how well corporate directors assess the performance of chief executives. Reasons for concern; Explanations for evaluation avoidance.
- When a director isn't pulling his weight: Board... Muschewske, Robert C. // NACD Directorship;Jun98, Vol. 24 Issue 6, p6
Offers advice to chief executive officers and nominating committee heads on managing under-performing directors. Criteria that will measure director performance; Information on a feedback technique used in evaluating directors; Mechanical method for dealing with real or potential performance...
- Directorship DataBank dividends. // NACD Directorship;Oct96, Vol. 22 Issue 9, p9
Reports on the decline of the number of chief executive officers among public Fortune 1000 companies who sit on their own nominating committees from February 1994 to October 1996.
- The delicate matter of the 'Number Two'. Carey, Dennis C.; Ogden, Dayton // Directors & Boards;Spring2000, Vol. 24 Issue 3, p53
Discusses the role of a board member in the corporate structure. Relationship between the chief executive officer (CEO) and the board; Factors that have an impact on the CEO-board relationship; Comments of board member Lawrence Bossidy on his relationship with CEO Jack Welch; Obstacles to...
- CEOs give Higgs report a mixed review. Higgins, Joanna // Director;Mar2003, Vol. 56 Issue 8, p40
Presents response of chief executive officers on January 2003 report of Derek Higgs, which reviews the role of independent director. Concern on recruitment and appointment point in the report; Need to define non-executives' roles by company law; Views of Bree Taylor of law firm Baker & McKenzie...
- Editor's Letter. Quick, Chris // Accountancy;Jun2003, Vol. 131 Issue 1318, p1
The article introduces the papers in this issue of the "Accountancy" journal which focus on the remuneration levels of directors and chief executives of corporations which are being criticized by shareholders.