Scanning The Seabed
- Grain-Size Trend Analysis for the Determination of Non-Biogenic Sediment Transport Pathways on the Kwinte Bank (southern North Sea), in Relation to Sand Dredging. Poulos, Serafim E.; Ballay, Arnaud // Journal of Coastal Research;Nov2010 Supplement, p95
Grain-size trend analysis is applied to the determination of sediment transport pathways over the Kwinte Bank, southern North Sea; which had been subjected to intensive dredging, within the context of the environmental impact of dredging activities. On the basis of the results of grain-size...
- Gone, But Not Forgotten. Auer, Jens; McKenna, Labhoise; Gribble, John // DPC: Dredging & Port Construction;Mar2006, p24
The article presents an account of the Wrecks on the Seabed Project launched by Wessex Archaeology in 2002 to provide offshore industry, regulators and contractors with guidance on the archaeological assessment, evaluation and recording of wreck sites in areas subject to seabed development. The...
- Site investigations set the scene for successful dredging works. White, John // DPC: Dredging & Port Construction;Feb98, Vol. 25 Issue 2, p20
Explains the process involved in planning and conducting effective site investigations for dredging works. Assessment of the geotechnical characteristics and volumes of the materials to be excavated; Use of hydrographic surveying to determine the topography of the seabed at the excavation sites.
- Hydrographic surveying for environmental dredging. // DPC: Dredging & Port Construction;Sep99, Vol. 26 Issue 9, p19
Presents information on Trimble hydrographic survey equipment used for dredging operation in Colorado River. Aim of the dredging operation; Basis of selecting the system; Web site for the system.
- Multibeam survey monitors Bremerhaven channel dredging. Liebert, Roland; Ulmke, Lars O. // DPC: Dredging & Port Construction;Feb99, Vol. 26 Issue 2, p13
Describes how a multibeam system is being used to monitor a dredging project in Weser Estuary in Germany. Expansion project for the container terminal in Bremerhaven, Germany; Awarding of contract to the ConsultING-Team to provide hydrographic surveying services; Equipment installation;...
- Enhanced hydro survey capability eases site investigation. // DPC: Dredging & Port Construction;Feb99, Vol. 26 Issue 2, p17
Reports on the advantages of using hydrographic survey technology as part of the site investigation process for dredging works. Prediction of seasonal wave conditions on which to base the potential for downtime; Environmental monitoring associated with dredging works; Examples of hydrographic...
- Surveying the deep. Leddy, Peter W. // Science Teacher;Apr99, Vol. 66 Issue 4, p18
Looks at how scientists map the ocean floor using SONAR (Sound Navigational and Ranging) systems. Use of sound to measure depth; Imaging of the ocean floor using SONAR; Applications of SONAR in classroom settings.
- BURIED TREASURE. Dalgleish, Sharon // Ocean Life;2003, p10
The ocean floor is littered with the wrecks of ancient and modern ships. The ship's wreckage gives shelter to fish and other sea creatures. These wrecks give us clues about how people lived in the past.
- Interactive comment on "Global prediction of planktic foraminiferal fluxes from hydrographic and productivity data" by S. Å½ariÄ‡ et al. Schiebel, R. // Biogeosciences;2005 Supplement, pS433
Comments on a study which focused on the global predication of planktic foraminiferal fluxes from hydrographic and productivity data. Significance of the study to understanding transformation of sinking matter between the upper ocean and the sea floor; Opinion on the export production at 1000...