Incorporating movement with fluency instruction: A motivation for struggling readers
- Making the Most of Assessments to Inform Instruction. Risko, Victoria J.; Walker-Dalhouse, Doris // Reading Teacher;Feb2010, Vol. 63 Issue 5, p420
This article describes how students' performance assessments, especially reading performance assessments, can be utilized to provide teachers with a basis for making informed instructional and curriculum decisions. Assessments can help define students' strengths, needs, and instructional...
- Developing Comprehension. Manning, Maryann // Teaching Pre K-8;Apr2007, Vol. 37 Issue 7, p58
The article presents the authors recommendations for reading comprehension strategies that should be discontinued. She cautions teachers not to fall into the belief that their original content cannot be as good as what is published, but rather to find a way to use both. She reminds readers of...
- Using Verbal Protocols to Identify the Reading Strategies of Students Who Are Deaf. Schirmer, Barbara R. // Journal of Deaf Studies & Deaf Education;2003, Vol. 8 Issue 2, p157
The purpose of this study was to identify the reading strategies used by students who are deaf by investigating their self-reported thinking during reading. The participants were 10 elementary students attending a residential state school for the deaf. After each page of reading a short story,...
- Using Read-Aloud Time Wisely. Walther, Maria P.; Fuhler, Carol J. // Book Links;Jan2008, Vol. 17 Issue 3, p8
The article offers tips on how to maximize the read-aloud experiences. It cites that teaching students on how to read the illustrations is essential by sharing wordless picture books. It is believed that comparing and contrasting favorite folktales could build higher-level thinking skills as...
- Tips for getting an accurate reading level score. // Patient Education Management;Jan2009, Vol. 16 Issue 1, p3
The article focuses on the readability formulas which offers various suggestions to assess the reading grade level of documents and materials.
- Focus reading to learn faster. // Communication Briefings;Jan2013, Vol. 32 Issue 3, p8
The article offers several guidelines to effective reading and better comprehension, adapted from the book "Extreme Productivity," by Robert C. Pozen.
- La escuela puede enseï¿½ar estrategias de lectura y promover su regular empleo. // Revista Mexicana de Investigaciï¿½n Educativa;ene-abr2003, Vol. 8 Issue 17, p129
No abstract available.
- ï¿½Por quï¿½ las personas no comprenden lo que leen?(2004). Le�n, Jos� A. // Revista Nebrija de Lingï¿½ï¿½stica Aplicada a la Enseï¿½anza de ;2010, Issue 7, p1
The current conception about literacy and reading comprehension has been changed extraordinarily in the last decades. Today its study is more closed to lifespan conception than a reading adquisition period only. In this work the reading comprehension and literacy are analyzed based on in this...
- Extra Dose of 9th Grade Reading Said to Help. Viadero, Debra // Education Week;12/10/2008, Vol. 28 Issue 15, p5
The article discusses the Enhanced Reading Opportunities Study, a federal program that tests school curricula. A report entitled "The Enhanced Reading Opportunities Study: Findings from the Second Year of Implementation" reveals that giving extra literacy classes to 9th grade readers increases...