Scrips costs cut by asthma review

Chauhan, Neil
February 2007
GP: General Practitioner;2/16/2007, p52
In this article, the author describes how proactive asthma checks can save money and help patients. The author undertook a project during his Foundation Year 2 (F2) general practice placement at the Royal Docks Medical Centre in East London. It achieved an intermediate net saving of over £8.51 per patient. Only about 5 per cent of the 337 patients on the practice's asthma register were not taking medication, while asthmatics represented around one in every 20 of the total list.


Related Articles

  • A novel approach: efficiency. Messina, Judith // Crain's New York Business;12/3/2001, Vol. 17 Issue 49, p3 

    Reports the efficiency of health services of Union Health Center in New York, New York. Satisfaction of patients; Effort of the center in updating medical records; Cost of services.

  • A cost comparison of open versus percutaneous approaches to management of large staghorn calculi. Pickard, Rob // Indian Journal of Urology;Jan-Mar2008, Vol. 24 Issue 1, p34 

    The author reflects on a paper regarding the cost comparison of open pyelithotomy and percutaneous nephrolithotomy approaches to management of large staghorn calculi. It says that cost comparison between health centers is more problematic because the proportion of the total expenditure accounted...

  • Physician Communication Regarding Cost When Prescribing Asthma Medication to Children. Patel, Minal R.; Coffman, Janet M.; Chien-Wen Tseng; Clark, Noreen M.; Cabana, Michael D. // Clinical Pediatrics;Jun2009, Vol. 48 Issue 5, p493 

    Children with asthma require multiple medications, and cost may be a barrier to care. The purpose of this study was to determine how often physicians ask about cost when prescribing new asthma medication and to identify factors influencing queries. We surveyed pediatricians and family physicians...

  • Impact of Specialist Consultations on Inpatient Admissions for Dermatology-Specific and Related DRGs. Hu, Lissy; Haynes, Harley; Ferrazza, Dawn; Kupper, Thomas; Qureshi, Abrar // JGIM: Journal of General Internal Medicine;Nov2013, Vol. 28 Issue 11, p1477 

    BACKGROUND: Studies of dermatologic inpatients are important, given the rise in the number of admissions and of Medicare spending for dermatology-specific and dermatology-related diagnosis related groups (DRGs) in recent years. Yet inpatient studies of patients admitted for skin conditions have...

  • Can Disease Management Target Patients Most Likely to Generate High Costs? The Impact of Comorbidity. Charlson, Mary; Charlson, Robert F.; Briggs, William; Hollenberg, James // JGIM: Journal of General Internal Medicine;Apr2007, Vol. 22 Issue 4, p464 

    CONTEXT: Disease management programs are increasingly used to manage costs of patients with chronic disease. OBJECTIVE: We sought to examine the clinical characteristics and measure the health care expenditures of patients most likely to be targeted by disease management programs. DESIGN:...

  • Targeted treatments reduce allergy and asthma costs. BROWN, JULIA // Managed Healthcare Executive;Nov2013, Vol. 23 Issue 11, p51 

    The article discusses targeted treatments for allergy and asthma. It mentions that allergy and asthma costs about 7 billion U.S. dollar and 56 billion U.S. dollar per annum respectively to the U.S. health care industry. It states that testing of patients prior to initiation immunotherapy or...

  • The impact of income on private patients' access to GP services in Ireland. Nolan, Anne // Journal of Health Services Research & Policy;Oct2008, Vol. 13 Issue 4, p222 

    Objectives: To examine the extent to which proximity to the income threshold for free GP care results in significant differences in GP visiting. Approximately 30% of the Irish population receives free GP care (medical card patients), while the remaining 70% pays in full (private patients)....

  • Answers to Your Questions. Moore, Kent J. // Family Practice Management;Jun2005, Vol. 12 Issue 6, p25 

    Presents a question-and-answer advisory about coding and documentation. Proper procedure code for tick removal; Documentation for review of systems; Appropriate code for a waived test of a patient's prothrombin time; Billing for a cervical biopsy and arthrocentesis.

  • Australian general practice: primed for the "patient-centred medical home"? Jackson, Claire L. // Medical Journal of Australia;10/1/2012, Vol. 197 Issue 7, p365 

    The article compares that Australian model of general practice to the patient-centered medical home model in other countries. It states that general practice in Australia offers high quality affordable care to all patients. According to the author, workforce distribution and reward system pose...


Read the Article


Sorry, but this item is not currently available from your library.

Try another library?
Sign out of this library

Other Topics