Maryland Bishop Urges Ban on Death Penalty
- U.S. BRIEFS. // National Catholic Reporter;3/9/2007, Vol. 43 Issue 19, p6
The article offers news briefs related to the church and the society in the U.S. Bishops in Texas have warned that the proposed coal plants could pose significant health problems, such as increased susceptibility to bacterial infection and increased cases of asthma. Auxiliary Bishop Denis J....
- N.J. bishops addresses commission. Malcolm, Teresa // National Catholic Reporter;03/13/98, Vol. 34 Issue 19, p11
Reports that the bishops in New Jersey reiterated their opposition to the death penalty before a commission charged to study ways to expedite the death penalty process. Claims of the Catholic bishops; Why the bishops are opposing the use of capital punishment.
- Ash Wednesday Call to Confess Error in Iraq. // America;3/12/2007, Vol. 196 Issue 9, p6
The article reports that Bishop Denis J. Madden of Baltimore at a press conference requested all Marylanders to support the March 16 Christian Peace Witness demonstration in Washington, D.C. The Bishop along with other leaders reportedly opposed President George W. Bush's Iraq War policies and...
- Bishops reiterate stance. // National Catholic Reporter;7/12/96, Vol. 32 Issue 34, p7
Reports that Ohio's Catholic bishops have reiterated their opposition to the death penalty.
- Louisiana bishops urge new approach to criminal justice. Donovan, Gill // National Catholic Reporter;3/1/2002, Vol. 38 Issue 17, p10
Reports that the Catholic Bishops in Louisiana have called for a new approach to crime and punishment in a statement. Concept of restorative justice; Rejection of the death penalty by the bishops; Basis of the statement.
- Pray, preach, teach for end to capital punishment, bishops say. Zapor, Patricia // National Catholic Reporter;04/09/99, Vol. 35 Issue 23, p10
Reports on a Good Friday statement issued by bishops in the United States (US) urging for an end to capital punishment. Details on the statement; Evolution of the church's teaching on the subject; Information on the increased rate of executions in states; Seeking for the abolition of death...
- Catholic bishops again condemn death penalty. Eckstrom, Kevin // Christian Century;12/13/2005, Vol. 122 Issue 25, p14
The article reports on the call of U.S. Roman Catholic bishops to end death penalty. Death penalty is unhealthy for the soul of U.S. citizens according to the bishops. There was a decline in support of Catholics for death penalty according to a poll commissioned by the bishops in March 2005....
- Religious Leaders Seek To Preserve Foreign Aid. // America;11/21/2011, Vol. 205 Issue 16, p8
The article reports on the request made by religious leaders such as bishop Denis J. Madden and David Beckmann, president of Bread for the World, to U.S. Senators to preserve funds for aids of poor people abroad.
- N.Y. bishops speak out against death penalty. // National Catholic Reporter;1/20/95, Vol. 31 Issue 12, p6
Reports on the opposition of New York's Catholic bishops to a state bill reinstating the death penalty. Encouragement of priests to speak out in the pulpits against death penalty; Support of Catholics to death penalty.