Management of acute decompensated heart failure
- Should treatment for heart failure with preserved ejection fraction differ from that for heart failure with reduced ejection fraction? Jong, Philip; McKelvie, Robert; Yusuf, Salim // BMJ: British Medical Journal (Overseas & Retired Doctors Edition;8/28/2010, Vol. 341 Issue 7770, p453
In this article, the authors seek to clarify whether treatments that are effective in heart failure with reduced ejection fraction (HF-REF) may also be effective in heart failure with preserved ejection fraction (HP-PEF). Data on studies that tested treatments for HF-REF and HP-PEF were sorted...
- Chronic heart failure: pathophysiology, diagnosis and treatment. Nicholson, Christopher // Nursing Older People;Sep2014, Vol. 26 Issue 7, p29
Heart failure has significant prevalence in older people: the mean average age of patients with the condition is 77. It has serious prognostic and quality of life implications for patients, as well as health service costs. Diagnosis requires confirmatory investigations and consideration of...
- 2014 ACC/AHA Key Data Elements and Definitions for Cardiovascular Endpoint Events in Clinical Trials: A Report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Clinical Data Standards (Writing Committee to Develop Cardiovascular Endpoints Data Standards). Hicks, Karen A; Tcheng, James E; Bozkurt, Biykem; Chaitman, Bernard R; Cutlip, Donald E; Farb, Andrew; Fonarow, Gregg C; Jacobs, Jeffrey P; Jaff, Michael R; Lichtman, Judith H; Limacher, Marian C; Mahaffey, Kenneth W; Mehran, Roxana; Nissen, Steven E; Smith, Eric E; Targum, Shari L; ACC/AHA TASK FORCE ON CLINICAL DATA STANDARDS MEMBERS // Journal of Nuclear Cardiology;Oct2015, Vol. 22 Issue 5, p1041
No abstract available.
- Pharmacological Treatment of Acute Heart Failure: Current Treatment and New Targets. Pöss, J; Link, A; Böhm, M // Clinical Pharmacology & Therapeutics;Oct2013, Vol. 94 Issue 4, p499
Acute heart failure (AHF) is defined as the rapid onset of, or changes in, the symptoms and signs of heart failure (HF). It is a life-threatening situation in which diagnosis and initiation of therapy are crucial. The treatment aims are to stabilize the patient, improve clinical symptoms, and...
- A stiff heart. // Mayo Clinic Health Letter;Sep2015, Vol. 33 Issue 9, p1
The article discusses the two types of heart failure, its mechanisms, and how each reacts to treatment. Topics covered include doctors' measurement of the heart's pumping rate or, ejection fraction, the heart failure with reduced ejection fraction (HFrRF) and the heart failure with preserved...
- Clinical Trials in Congestive Heart Failure: Why Do Studies Report Conflicting Results? Packer, Milton // Annals of Internal Medicine;7/1/88, Vol. 109 Issue 1, p3
Editorial. Comments on the contribution of diagnostic heterogeneity in giving discordant results of clinical trials conducted for the treatment of congestive heart failures. Influence of different criterias used for judging the efficacy of drugs on the results; Impact of different publication...
- Intravenous Vasodilator Therapy in Congestive Heart Failure. Moazemi, Kourosh; Chana, Jatinder S.; Willard, Anna Marie; Kocheril, Abraham G. // Drugs & Aging;2003, Vol. 20 Issue 7, p485
The prevalence of congestive heart failure (CHF) is increasing in the US and worldwide, partly because patients are living longer. Treatment of CHF is mostly on an outpatient basis, but inpatient care is required for decompensated CHF, acute CHF or poor response to outpatient treatment. Control...
- Calcium, Magnesium, and Diuretics. // British Medical Journal;1/25/1975, Vol. 1 Issue 5951, p170
Examines the use of oral diuretic agents for the treatment of patients with hypertension and heart failure. Toxicology of the drugs; Cause of diabetes mellitus de novo; Effects of diuretics on serum potassium concentration.
- Siemens, Janssen join forces on diagnostic test. // Medical Device Daily;6/18/2013, Vol. 17 Issue 117, p4
The article reports on an agreement between the companies Siemens Healthcare Diagnostics and Janssen Pharmaceutica to jointly develop a diagnostic test.