IFE to Expand Ranks with CFODs
- Essential, Important, Nice. Zikmund, Nyle // Minnesota Fire Chief;Jan/Feb2009, Vol. 45 Issue 3, p26
The article encourages firefighters to help policy makers at all levels to make difficult decisions by making them to focus on essential, important, nice. It is important for a firefighter to talk to policymakers both at the local, state and federal level to educate them on what a firefighter is...
- Putting the "WOW" back in education. Specken, Dale // Minnesota Fire Chief;Sep/Oct2013, Vol. 50 Issue 1, p12
The article offers the author's insights on the conference of the Minnesota State Fire Chiefs Association (MSFCA) in Rochester, Minnesota from October 17-17, 2013. He says that the committee of MSFCA offers opportunity by setting up classes that will help fire chiefs to learn new skills, improve...
- Hey, Where Are You? CIAMPO, MICHAEL N. // Fire Engineering;Jun2010, Vol. 163 Issue 6, p124
The author advises firefighters to determine the location of their companions to ensure that they are not left stranded or unprotected. He urges the inside team to inform the firefighters on the fire floor they are planning to go to the floor above. He also emphasizes that the engine company...
- Positioning Apparatus for Maximum Efficiency and Safety. GUSTIN, BILL // Fire Engineering;Feb2010, Vol. 163 Issue 2, p63
The article discusses the safe and effective placement of apparatus at fire scenes. The author advises that a firefighter should have the foresight to visualize the fire, the fire building, and what the fire scene would look later once other apparatus are installed. A fire officer who is first...
- 2010 Minnesota State Fire Chiefs Fall Conference. // Minnesota Fire Chief;2010/2011 Directory, p9
The article presents a letter from the fire chief of the Rochester Fire Department in Minnesota about the Minnesota State Fire Chiefs Association's (MSFCA) Conference that will take place on October 21-23, 2010.
- NIST Researchers Propose Test Methods for Thermal Imagers. // Professional Safety;Apr2006, Vol. 51 Issue 4, p57
The article focuses on the proposals of the researchers of the National Institute of Standards and Technology to test the methods for thermal imagers in an effort to save lives. The devices may be used to locate victims in a burning building or to find fire sources in a smoky environment. The...
- Industry Calendar. // Fire Engineering;Oct2015, Vol. 168 Issue 10, Special section p8
A calendar of events related to fire engineering across the world from October 1-June 25, 2015, is presented, which includes the Manitoba Emergency Services Conference, the Illinois Fire Chiefs Association tradeshow and the Fire Department Safety Officers Association.
- Managing Big Fires 101: Divide and Conquer. DUNNE, THOMAS // Fire Engineering;Aug2009, Vol. 162 Issue 8, p77
A personal narrative is presented which explores the author's experience of being the incident commander (IC) of the Fire Department of New York (FDNY) when his team was dispatched at a wind-driven fire that threatened several buildings on May 2, 2008.
- MINNESOTA STATE FIRE CHIEFS ASSOCIATION. // Minnesota Fire Chief;Sep/Oct2008, Vol. 45 Issue 1, p43
The article presents information on the composition, executive board and committees comprising the Minnesota State Fire Chiefs Association (MSFCA). The MSFCA mission statement, it says, is to provide proactive leadership and innovative, comprehensive continuing education while supporting current...