Orangutans for Sale
- Poachers. Orme, Helen // Orangutans in Danger;2007, p14
The article provides information on the threat faced by orangutans from poachers or hunters. People want to have baby orangutans as their pets, so poachers try to capture baby orangutans and sell them. The mother of the baby orangutan is usually killed by hunters to make it easier to steal the baby.
- Just the Facts. Orme, Helen // Orangutans in Danger;2007, p24
The article presents facts about the orangutan. Its red fur is perfect camouflage in the rain forest, which make the animal almost impossible to see from the ground. Mother orangutans usually carry their babies until they are 3 years old. Male orangutans make loud, long calls to caution other...
- Rescue Centers. Orme, Helen // Orangutans in Danger;2007, p18
The article focuses on orangutans. These animals do not make good pets especially as they become adults wherein they become very strong and may possess bad tempers. People who own pet orangutans usually get tired of them as they grew older. Some orangutans are brought to rescue centers wherein...
- Teaching Orangutans to Be Wild. Orme, Helen // Orangutans in Danger;2007, p20
The article focuses on teaching orangutans how to find their own food. Baby orangutans that are kept captive and as pets do not know how to live in the wild. Mother orangutans teach their babies on what to eat and whereto find it in the wild. People at the rescue centers teach orangutans kept in...
- No EXIT. Ross, John F. // Smithsonian;Sep2002, Vol. 33 Issue 6, p62
Focuses on the illegal orangutan trade in Indonesia. Efforts of Willie Smits of the Balikpapan Orangutan Survival Foundation to rescue orangutans from markets; Conditions for orangutans after a sale; Appeal of orangutans; Operations of the Nyaru Menteng Reintroduction Center.
- Camp Orangutan. Tedjasukmana, Jason // Time International (Atlantic Edition);5/11/2009, Vol. 173 Issue 19, p99
The article describes the Camp Leakey rehabilitation center for orangutans in the Tanjung Putting National Park in Borneo. Its work in rehabilitating former pet orangutans to be reintroduced into the wild is described, noting that visitors are encouraged to contribute toward the keep of young...
- Protecting the Orangutans. Orme, Helen // Orangutans in Danger;2007, p22
The article discusses ways to protect orangutans. Rescued orangutans are released into nature reserves which are being protected by forest rangers. Loggers and poachers are not allowed in these areas. Despite efforts on nature reserves, governments cannot afford to pay enough rangers to make...
- Troubled Times. // Scholastic SuperScience;Nov/Dec2008, Vol. 20 Issue 3, p9
The article presents the island of Borneo forecasting the distribution of orangutan from 1989 to 2020.
- In Good Hands. SCHARDT, HANNAH // Ranger Rick;Jun/Jul2014, Vol. 48 Issue 6, p24
The article presents information on the Orangutan Care Center in Borneo, an orangutan conservation organization, focusing on its efforts to raise young orangutans for eventual release into the wild. Topics include the illegal sales of orangutans as pets, the care given to babies by human...