The people's Clock
- TWO DEAL-MAKERS. // New Republic;12/28/87, Vol. 197 Issue 26, p4
Compares the points of view derived from political leaders concerning people and the kind of social government of the Soviet Union and the U.S. Information regarding the perestroika system being implemented by Mikhail Gorbachev in the Soviet Union; Philosophy of Donald Trump and Gorbachev...
- MOSCOW TURNS EAST. Perkovich, George // Atlantic (02769077);Dec87, Vol. 260 Issue 6, p30
Discusses the initiative of Mikhail Gorbachev, leader of the Union of Soviet Socialist Republic, to build relationship with Asian countries. Details on the Asian policies of Gorbachev; Obstacles to the efforts of the Union Soviet to build relationships with Asian countries; Motivation of the...
- SOVIET MILITARY DOCTRINE. Odom, William E. // Foreign Affairs;Winter88/89, Vol. 67 Issue 2, p114
This article assesses Soviet military power, which is unequaled in the world in its combination of size, sophistication and control of military forces. By the 1980s, however, some observers revised that judgment, calling it "a one-dimensional superpower," possessing only the military dimension....
- Disengaging Europe from the superpowers. Kaldor, Mary // Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists;Aug1985, Vol. 41 Issue 7, p140
Discusses the need for the growing independence of countries in both the Eastern and Western blocs to be cultivated in the interest of greater security for all. Russian leader Mikhail Gorbachev's visit to Great Britain in December 1984; Orthodox Western justification for nuclear weapons;...
- LINKING GORBACHEV'S DOMESTIC AND FOREIGN POLICIES. Breslauer, George W. // Journal of International Affairs;Spring89, Vol. 42 Issue 2, p267
Specifies the main components of Soviet Secretary General Mikhail Gorbachev's domestic and foreign policy agendas. Relationship between the two agendas; Factors which facilitate the continued expansion of the restructuring process; Effect of the policies on the U.S.
- THE DOMESTIC AND INTERNATIONAL SOURCES OF GORBACHEV'S REFORMS. Bialer, Seweryn // Journal of International Affairs;Spring89, Vol. 42 Issue 2, p283
Examines domestic and international factors in the formation of Soviet Secretary General Mikhail Gorbachev's reform agenda. Information on the domestic performance of the Soviet system during the Brezhnev era; Conditions of Soviet economic growth; Changes in the nature of the Soviet society and...
- The Gorbachev regime after two years. Cracraft, James // Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists;May1987, Vol. 43 Issue 4, p31
Describes General Secretary Mikhail Gorbachev's leadership in the Soviet Union. Policy of openness to the West; Effort to cope with the economic and social crisis; Definite constraints on internal glasnost; Aim to further stabilize the international scene, promoting vital trade and reducing...
- Gorbachev's Game. // National Review;5/17/1985, Vol. 37 Issue 9, p14
Focuses on Russian leader Mikhail Gorbachev's intensified political pressure on the Pakistani government. Gorbachev's warning on Pakistan President Zia Ul Haq against channeling U.S. arms to the Afghan resistance; Absence of any U.S. response to Russia-backed encroachment on Pakistani sovereignty.
- Confusion Abounding. // National Review;11/20/1987, Vol. 39 Issue 22, p18
Reports on Soviet Union President Mikhail Gorbachev's decision to postpone his commitment to visit America. Realization that the administration of President Ronald Reagan is desperate for a summit meeting; Gorbachev's opposition of the U.S. strategic defense initiative.