Necessary cautions when considering digoxin in heart failure
- The End of the Digoxin Era? Manolis, Antonis S. // Hospital Chronicles;2015, Vol. 10 Issue 4, p197
Digoxin is one of the oldest of cardiovascular drugs which is still frequently used, both in patients with atrial fibrillation (AF) and patients with heart failure with or without AF. The use of digoxin preceded the era of evidence based medicine. However, over the recent past, there has been...
- Digitalis: a dangerous drug in atrial fibrillation? An analysis of the SPORTIF Ill and V data. Gjesdal, K.; Feyzi, J.; Olsson, S. B. // Heart;Feb2008, Vol. 94 Issue 2, p191
Objective: In heart failure, digitalis increases exercise capacity and reduces morbidity, but has no effect on survival. This raises the suspicion that the inotropic benefits of digitalis may be counteracted by serious adverse effects. Patients with atrial fibrillation (AF) were studied to...
- Phase-Invariant Signature Algorithm. Prasad, Kailash; Gupta, Madan M. // Angiology;Nov1979, Vol. 30 Issue 11, p721
Focuses on a noninvasive technique for early detection and quantification of Ouabain-induced cardiac disorders. Usage of the treatment; Methodology; Data acquisition and processing.
- digoxin. // Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary (2009);2009, Issue 21, p654
A definition of the term "digoxin" which refers to digitalis glycoside that is frequently prescribed is presented.
- Effect of quinidine on plasma concentrations of digoxin. Ejvinsson, Gunnar // British Medical Journal;2/4/1978, Vol. 1 Issue 6108, p279
Examines the effect of quinidine on plasma concentration of digoxin. Determination of quinidine concentration; Symptoms of digitalis intoxication; Use of radioimmunoassay in determining digoxin concentration.
- Routine clinical variables predicted mortality in patients with heart failure and systolic dysfunction. Kent, David M. // Evidence Based Medicine;Sep/Oct2004, Vol. 9 Issue 5, p154
The article provides an answer to a question on the significance of clinical variables in the prediction of mortality rates of patients with systolic dysfunction and heart failure.
- Alternatives to the digitalis glycosides for heart failure. Johnston, G.D. // British Medical Journal (Clinical Research Edition);3/16/1985, Vol. 290 Issue 6471, p803
Examines the importance of digitalis glycosides for heart failure. Increase of cardiac output; Consideration of the forms of dopamine; Improvement of ventricular functions.
- How digitalis is used and abused. // Modern Medicine;Apr97, Vol. 65 Issue 4, p35
Focuses on the use and abuse of digitalis for chronic heart failure treatment. Inotropic effect of low-dose digoxin; Deterioration of patients with chronic heart failure after the withdrawal of digoxin.
- Effect of digoxin noncompliance on hospitalization and mortality in patients with heart failure in long-term therapy: a prospective cohort study. Miura, Takanori; Kojima, Ryoji; Mizutani, Masaru; Shiga, Yukio; Takatsu, Fumimaro; Suzuki, Yoshio // European Journal of Clinical Pharmacology;Apr2001, Vol. 57 Issue 1, p77
Background: As outpatients with long-term chronic illness often show a high incidence of medication noncompliance, we investigated the influence of digoxin noncompliance on hospitalization, left ventricular ejection fraction, and mortality in outpatients in long-term therapy having congestive...