Optical Fiber Myths
- Overcome Your Fear of Fiber. // SDM: Security Distributing & Marketing;Dec2007, Vol. 37 Issue 12, p40
The article focuses on the use of fiber optics in security systems installation and troubleshooting. It discusses concerns that smart installation companies have raised related to fiber connections such as the maintenance, repair and troubleshooting. In addition, the article mentions the...
- Which Fiber Optic Cable Type Is Better? // SDM: Security Distributing & Marketing;Nov2002, Vol. 32 Issue 11, p33
Discusses the differences between multimode and singlemode fiber optic cables.
- Beam me up, Bruce. // Engineer (00137758);6/21/2002, Vol. 291 Issue 7606, p5
Reports that scientists in Australia have successfully teleported a beam of laser light. Comments from physicist Ping Koy Lam about the experiment.
- FLAG ready to fly next month. Hardy, Stephen // Lightwave;Aug97, Vol. 14 Issue 9, p9
Reports on preparations for the launching of the Fiberoptic Link Around the Globe cable network. Completion of the network's final undersea segment; Network features and capabilities; Sponsors; Subcontractors on the project.
- Undersea but not undervalued. Hardy, Stephen // Lightwave;Jun99 Supplement, Vol. 16 Issue 7, p1
Editorial. Focuses on the exponential growth of the undersea fiber-optic network market. Market research on undersea bandwidth; Record amount of submarine fiber-optic networks; Rate of demand growth for fiber-optic network.
- Chipping away some of the cost and complexity of the optical layer. Lipscomb, G. F. // Lightwave;Mar2000, Vol. 17 Issue 3, p80
Reports on an approach to reduce the cost of optical networks. Function of arrayed waveguide gratings; Technologies that have been used to make optical switches; Optical module that can benefit from integration of multiple elements on a single substrate.
- Trends in fiber-optic module assembly. Closson, Kevin // Lightwave;Mar2000, Vol. 17 Issue 3, p130
Discusses the emerging trends in the assemblies of fiber optic modules. Options for interconnection of the unit with other subassemblies; Reasons for the continued acceleration of the trends; Crucial step for makers of subassemblies.
- Optical-layer monitoring safeguards fiberoptic networks. Olin, Ulf; Sandgren, Simon // Laser Focus World;Jun2002, Vol. 38 Issue 6, p149
Deals with the use of optical-layer monitoring in safeguarding fiberoptic networks. Discussion of a spectral-scan mechanism based on the acousto-optic properties of chirped fiber Bragg gratings; Information on optical layer monitoring; Benefits from optical performance monitoring.
- Assure measure for measure with reference-quality test cables. Horwitz, Dennis // Lightwave;Sep2001, Vol. 18 Issue 10, p86
Discusses the importance of test-grade and reference quality cables in measuring the quality of fiber optic equipment. Function of standards; Definition of reference cables; Use of optical power in measuring fiber optics.