Cash-Balance Conversion May Add Up to Age Discrimination
- Cash-Balance Rebirth? // Treasury & Risk Management;Dec/Jan2003, Vol. 13 Issue 1, p8
Reports on the controversy over whether cash-balance pension plans in the U.S. discriminate against older workers. Conversions of traditional defined-benefit pension plans to cash-balance plans; Age discrimination charges that arose when some corporations' conversions to cash-balance plans...
- Can't beat 401(k)s, so sponsors join them. Geisel, Jerry // Business Insurance;8/14/95, Vol. 29 Issue 33, p3
Focuses on cash balance pension plans. Increase in the number of employers sponsoring cash balance pension plans; Advantages of cash balance pension plans; Factors contributing to the increase in the number of cash balance pension plans; Potential problems with cash balance pension plans. ...
- Ask a benefit manager. Nirtaut, Dennis J. // Business Insurance;10/11/99, Vol. 33 Issue 41, p23
Answers an employer's question on cash balance pension plans in the United States. Description of a cash balance plan as a hybrid pension plan; Elements of a cash balance plan; Employers' contributions; Comparison between a cash balance plan and a typical defined benefit plan; Disclosure...
- Cash balance rules needed. // Business Insurance;10/09/2000, Vol. 34 Issue 41, p8
Comments on the need to formulate regulations regarding cash balance pension plans in the United States. Administrative questions regarding the practice of offering cash balance plans; Controversies attached to the plans; Increasing number of lawsuits involving cash balance plans.
- Cash balance plan can pay off. Geisel, Jerry // Business Insurance;7/3/95, Vol. 29 Issue 27, p42
Reports on the benefit design of BellSouth Corp.'s cash balance pension plan. Problems with traditional defined benefit plans; Differences between defined benefit and defined contribution plans.
- IBM pension ruling favors employers with cash balance plans. Geisel, Jerry // Business Insurance;12/25/2006, Vol. 40 Issue 52, p14
The article focuses on a key chapter in the cash balance pension plan litigation saga. The main feature of those litigations was that the plans discriminate against older employees. Judge G. Patrick Murphy rocked employers with his decision that, if upheld, would have meant all cash balance...
- Cash balance story strikes wrong tone. Mitchell, Bob // Employee Benefit News;May2007, Vol. 21 Issue 6, p7
The author comments on an article about cash balance plans published within the issue. He claims that cash balance plans are beginning to have clear precedents at the U.S. circuit court levels. He mentions that cash balance plans can overcome some business obstacles, such as the volatile risks...
- Cash Balance Under Fire. Geisel, Jerry // Business Insurance;09/06/99, Vol. 33 Issue 36, p1
Reports on a wave of criticism against cash balance pension plans in the United States. Pension professionals' concern about effect of negative publicity; Corporate giants' offer of the plans; Other negative developments.
- Coca-Cola makes move to cash balance plan. Geisel, Jerry // Business Insurance;2/23/2009, Vol. 43 Issue 8, p3
The article announces the plan of the Coca-Cola Co. to adopt a cash balance pension plan for current and future employees. Under the cash balance plan design, employees will receive annual age-weighted credits equal to a percentage of pay, starting at 3%. In addition, employees' cash balance...