What's New in Hand Surgery
- Ultrasound-guided Brachial Plexus Block at the Supraclavicular Level: A New Parasagittal Approach. Searle, Adrian; Niraj, G. // International Journal of Ultrasound & Applied Technologies in Pe;2010, Vol. 1 Issue 1, p19
The study evaluates a new approach to ultrasound-guided supraclavicular brachial plexus block using a supraclavicular parasagittal approach. Sixty outpatients scheduled for hand surgery were given brachial plexus block utilising the new approach. Time taken for block procedure was short and...
- Exteriorization of Buried Port to Salvage Infected Tissue Expander. Elshahat, Ahmed // ePlasty: Open Access Journal of Plastic Surgery;2009, Vol. 9, p347
Objective: Since removal of an infected tissue expander is very disappointing to both the surgeon and the patient, every effort is directed toward its salvage. This study evaluates a new method to salvage infected tissue expanders. Method: Of 66 tissue expanders applied at different sites in the...
- Regenerative Medicine Physician. Spiewak, Anna // R&D Magazine;Dec2016, Vol. 58 Issue 4, p6
The article profiles Anthony Atala, a director of the Wake Forest Institute for Regenerative Medicine and a pediatric surgeon by training. It explores the work and achievements of Atala in the advancements of the growth and regeneration of tissues and organs. It also explores how Atala and his...
- Study: Many patients travel long distances for emergency hand care even though local hospitals may offer elective hand surgery. Thayer, Wesley // ED Management;Jul2012, Vol. 24 Issue 7, p82
The article discusses a study at Vanderbilt University in Nashville, Tennessee, which revealed that many patients have to travel long distances for emergency hand care due to shortage of hand specialists in Tennessee and also lack of their availability for 24/7on a call. Though local hospitals...
- Addition of ketamine or dexmedetomidine to lignocaine in intravenous regional anesthesia: A randomized controlled study. Kumar, Alok; Sharma, D. K.; Datta, Barun // Journal of Anaesthesiology Clinical Pharmacology;Oct2012, Vol. 28 Issue 4, p501
Introduction: Ketamine and dexmedetomidine decrease anesthetic requirement and provide analgesia to patients. We designed this study to compare the effect of dexmedetomidine and ketamine when added to lignocaine in intravenous regional anesthesia (IVRA). Materials and Methods: Seventy two...
- Advances in surgical procedures on the hand. Evans, David // Pulse;2/10/2003, Vol. 63 Issue 6, p48
Interviews doctor John Couch on the reconstructive techniques for hand surgery in Great Britain. Developments in hand surgery; Steps in transplantation; Available surgical treatments for hand osteoarthritis.
- HAND SURGERY. // New York;6/14/2004, Vol. 37 Issue 21, p64
Presents information about the top hand surgeons in New York. Specialization; Contact information.
- PAUL ROSCOE ELLIS III, MD: a conversation with the editor. Ellis III, Paul Roscoe; Roberts, William Clifford // Baylor University Medical Center Proceedings;Jan2015, Vol. 28 Issue 1, p97
An interview with Paul Roscoe Ellis III, physician at the Baylor University Medical Center (BUMC) in Dallas, Texas. Topics of the interview role of his law degree in his professional career and in life work, his achievement of winning several teaching awards while at BUMC and number of surgeons...
- Diagnostic pitfalls for the hand surgeon. Lee Moon Keen // BMC Proceedings;5/19/2015, p1
An abstract of the article "Diagnostic pitfalls for the hand surgeon" by Lee Moon Keen is presented.