Central Islip revitalization under way
- Toward a Healthy Democracy. O'Connor, Drew; Gates, Christopher T. // Public Health Reports;Mar-Jun2000, Vol. 115 Issue 2/3, p157
Examines the impact of the Healthy Communities movement in the United States on civic responsibility and democracy in the country. Key components of building a strong civil society; Activities of the National Civic League; Involvement of the community in the political process.
- Wisdom, work, wealth. Young, Neely // Georgia Trend;Jul99, Vol. 14 Issue 11, p8
Reflects on how to have beautiful communities with thriving economies. Necessity for citizens to be dedicated to wisdom, work and wealth; Compliance with zoning issues; Provision of lower-income residents with a community environment that encourages upward mobility; Importance of civic will;...
- CORPORATE CITIZENS. O'Brien, George // BusinessWest;8/7/2006, Vol. 23 Issue 8, p6
The article focuses on the move by the business community to help restore fiscal order and civic pride in Springfield, Massachusetts. In order to help the cash-strapped region, business owners are providing cash donations. Beyond cash, business owners are also involved in the drive to...
- Fighting for Zionsville's future. Jarosz, Francesca // Indianapolis Business Journal;5/16/2011, Vol. 32 Issue 11, p1
The article discusses the issue concerning the future of Zionsville, Indiana after many of its locals agreed that the town needs commercial development. It mentions that the struggle for school funding and tight property taxation are among the factors that have driven the community to take on...
- POSTCARD FROM ABROAD. Sacks, Richard // Foreign Service Journal;May98, Vol. 75 Issue 5, p60
The article reports on the progress of the town of Sa Pa in Vietnam. The town is considered as a living ethnological museum wherein men dressed like Yeshiva students while Hmong women wear indigo blouses, knickers with dark stockings, indigo tunics, and accessories. In 1946-1980s, it enjoy more...
- Main Events. Solnik, Claude // Long Island Business News (7/1993 to 5/2009);9/1/2006, Vol. 53 Issue 37, p1B
The article discusses the changes to be implemented in Westbury, New York as part of the town's proposed rejuvenation. The needed changes are brighter business facades, new streetlights and landscaping. Town officials are aiding landlords to obtain Community Development Grants from the federal...
- Scottsdale bond issue voted; includes $7.5 million library. // Library Journal;9/15/1983, Vol. 108 Issue 16, p1752
Reveals that voters in Scottsdale, Arizona have approved a $69 million bond issue for municipal improvements including the construction of a community library.
- Making a downtown in Markham. // Canadian Consulting Engineer;Jan/Feb2007, Vol. 48 Issue 1, p8
The article focuses on the development of a Downtown Markham, a $3-billion mixed-used project that was billed as a "green project case study" in Markham, Ontario. Downtown Markham is being built on 240 acres of farmers' fields north of Highway 407. It will be a new community that homes 9,500...
- Town Center. // Oklahoma Today;Jan/Feb2010, Vol. 60 Issue 1, p48
No abstract available.