Scoliosis in Patients with Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy
- Two-year results for scoliosis secondary to Duchenne muscular dystrophy fused to lumbar 5 with segmental pedicle screw instrumentation. Takaso, Masashi; Nakazawa, Toshiyuki; Imura, Takayuki; Okada, Takamitsu; Toyama, Masahiro; Ueno, Masaki; Fukushima, Kensuke; Saito, Wataru; Minatani, Atsushi; Miyajima, Gennyo; Fukuda, Michinari; Takahira, Naonobu; Takahashi, Kazuhisa; Yamazaki, Masashi; Ohtori, Seiji; Okamoto, Hirotsugu; Okutomi, Toshiyuki; Okamoto, Makito; Masaki, Takashi // Journal of Orthopaedic Science;Mar2010, Vol. 15 Issue 2, p171
Instrumentation and fusion to the sacrum/pelvis has been a mainstay in the surgical treatment of scoliosis in patients with Duchenne muscular dystrophy since the development of the intrailiac post. It is recommended for correcting pelvic obliquity. However, caudal extent of instrumentation and...
- Extraocular muscles spared in muscular dystrophy. Porter, John D. // Ophthalmology Times;
Discusses the Duchenne muscular dystrophy (DMD) for ocular motility problems in children. Pathophysiology of DMD; Importance of dystrophin-glycoprotein complex (DGC); Compensatory mechanism of extraocular muscles for the loss of components of DGC.
- Severe cognitive impairment in DMD: obvious clinical evidence for Dp71 isoform point mutations screening. Moizard, Marie-Pierre; Toutain, Annick; Fournier, Delphine; Berret, Françoise; Raynaud, Martine; Billard, Catherine; Andres, Christian; Moraine, Claude // European Journal of Human Genetics;Jul2000, Vol. 8 Issue 7, p552
Duchenne muscular dystrophy is associated with variable degrees of selective cognitive defect with lower scores for verbal intelligence and reading abilities. A number of findings have shown that rearrangements located in the second part of the gene seem to be preferentially associated with...
- Diagnosis and Infant Screening for Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy: Parents' Experiences and Attitudes. Hoffman, C.; Tsipis, J.; Hawley, P. // Journal of Genetic Counseling;Dec2002, Vol. 11 Issue 6, p497
Discusses the abstract of the study 'Diagnosis and Infant Screening for Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy: Parents' Experiences and Attitudes,' presented at the 21st Annual Education Conference of the National Society of Genetic Counselors held in Phoenix, Arizona in November 2002.
- Spinal Bracing and Respiratory Function in Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy. // Clinical Pediatrics;Feb1985, Vol. 24 Issue 2, p94
Presents a letter to the editor about spinal bracing and respiratory function in Duchenne muscular dystrophy.
- Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy--Parental Perceptions. Bothwell, J.E.; Dooley, J.M.; Gordon, K.E.; MacAuley, A.; Camfield, P.R.; MacSween, J. // Clinical Pediatrics;Mar2002, Vol. 41 Issue 2, p105
Discusses a study that evaluated the parental perceptions of the importance of services, health issues and aspects of quality of life in boys with Duchenne muscular dystrophy (DMD). Disruption caused by DMD to the lives of boys and their families; Methodology; Results and discussion.
- Disability and survival in Duchenne muscular dystrophy. M Kohler // Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery & Psychiatry;Mar2009, Vol. 80 Issue 3, p320
BACKGROUND: Duchenne muscular dystrophy (DMD) leads to progressive impairment of muscle function, respiratory failure and premature death. Longitudinal data on the course of physical disability and respiratory function are sparse. OBJECTIVES: To assess prospectively physical impairment and...
- Effects of steroids and angiotensin converting enzyme inhibition on circumferential strain in boys with Duchenne muscular dystrophy: a cross-sectional and longitudinal study utilizing cardiovascular magnetic resonance. // Journal of Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance (BioMed Central);2011, Vol. 13 Issue 1, p60
The article presents a study focusing on the effects of steroids and angiotensin converting enzyme inhibition on circumferential strain in boys with duchenne muscular dystrophy (DMD). The findings of the study support the need for prospective clinical trials to identify more effective treatment...
- Characteristics of Japanese Duchenne and Becker muscular dystrophy patients in a novel Japanese national registry of muscular dystrophy (Remudy). Nakamura, Harumasa; Kimura, En; Mori-Yoshimura, Madoka; Komaki, Hirofumi; Matsuda, Yu; Goto, Kanako; Hayashi, Yukiko K.; Nishino, Ichizo; Takeda, Shin'ichi; Kawai, Mitsuru // Orphanet Journal of Rare Diseases;2013, Vol. 8 Issue 1, Special section p1
Background: Currently, clinical trials for new therapeutic strategies are being planned for Duchenne and Becker muscular dystrophies (DMD/BMD). However, it is difficult to obtain adequate numbers of patients in clinical trials. As solutions to these problems, patient registries are an important...