GET THE Mercury out
- Mesmerized by mercury. Blum, Joel D. // Nature Chemistry;Dec2013, Vol. 5 Issue 12, p1066
The article discusses the positive and negative properties of the chemical element mercury. Mercury, with chemical symbol Hg, is a dense liquid metal and has widespread applications ranging from thermometers and barometers to electrical switches, batteries, dental amalgams, light bulbs and even...
- Mercury Rising. Kluger, Jeffrey; Masters, Coco // Time;9/11/2006, Vol. 168 Issue 11, p66
The article discusses mercury pollution, which may be more widespread and dangerous than was once believed. The toxic metal, which was once only found in high concentrations in fish, is now being found in the blood of hundreds of species of birds, as well as in polar bears, bats, mink, otters,...
- Adsorptive Stripping Voltammetry of Environmental Carcinogens. Barek, Jiri; Peckova, Karolina; Vyskocil, Vlastimil // Current Analytical Chemistry;Jul2008, Vol. 4 Issue 3, p242
This review describes our recent results regarding adsorptive stripping voltammetric determination of submicromolar and nanomolar concentrations of various environmentally important chemical carcinogens using both traditional (hanging mercury drop electrode, carbon paste electrode) and...
- Sweden. // Sweden - CCW;6/ 1/2011, p1
The article reports that the Swedish government has adopted the objective of a non-toxic environment and it wants to phase out most toxic chemicals by 2020. Companies that manufacture or import chemicals need to file activity reports and product reports for the Chemical Agency's Products...
- Mercury in the Aquatic Environment of the Village of Caimito at the Mojana Region, North of Colombia. Olivero-Verbel, Jesus; Johnson-Restrepo, Boris; Mendoza-Marín, Claudia; Paz-Martinez, Ramon; Olivero-Verbel, Rafael // Water, Air & Soil Pollution;Nov2004, Vol. 159 Issue 1-4, p409
During Mayâ€“September 1999, several aquatic environmental samples were collected from the village of Caimito, in the San Jorge River basin area, state of Sucre (Colombia), and analyzed for total mercury (T-Hg). Mean T-Hg concentration in sediments from surrounded marshes was 0.155 Â±...
- The toxicological effects of mercury. // Modern Medicine;Dec99, Vol. 67 Issue 12, p12
Provides information on health problems associated with mercury exposure. Problem with the element; Disagreement among experts on what is a safe level of mercury exposure.
- Hg. // American Heritage Student Science Dictionary;2009, p166
The entry presents the symbol for mercury.
- Nursing Actions. // American Nurse;Nov/Dec2001, Vol. 33 Issue 6, p33
Presents nursing actions on the prevention of mercury poisoning. Assessment of mercury content in the household chemicals and products; Methods that should be used for cleaning up mercury spill.
- Low-Dose Exposure to Inorganic Mercury Accelerates Disease and Mortality in Acquired Murine Lupus. Via, Charles S.; Nguyen, Phuong; Niculescu, Florin; Papadimitriou, John; Hoover, Dennis; Silbergeld, Ellen K. // Environmental Health Perspectives;Aug2003, Vol. 111 Issue 10, p1273
Inorganic mercury (iHg) is known to induce autoimmune disease in susceptible rodent strains. Additionally, in inbred strains of mice prone to autoimmune disease, iHg can accelerate and exacerbate disease manifestations. Despite these well-known links between iHg and autoimmunity in animal...