- A sugarhouse you can build. Faria, L. // Country Journal;Mar/Apr92, Vol. 19 Issue 2, p59
Offers tips on building a compact sugarhouse that is ideal for small-scale syrup-making. Features; Dimensions; Information on ordering plans and kits.
- Time to tap the sap. Phillips, David // Canadian Geographic;Mar/Apr93, Vol. 113 Issue 2, p16
Features maple sap collection in Canada. Effect of weather on sap harvest; Decline of maple trees; Effect of air pollution; Effect of acid rain; Insects and disease.
- Tapping the source. Grant, D. // New York;3/20/89, Vol. 22 Issue 12, p70
Report on the sugaring season in Massachusetts when maple syrup is tapped from maple trees. Production of syrup; Restaurants; Lodgings; Directions.
- A sweet Maple treat. Adil, Janeen R. // Faces;Jan1998, Vol. 14 Issue 5, p20
Features the Maple sap harvest and the celebrations after by Canadians and Americans. Information on the history of Maple sap; Details on the uses of the Maple sap; Identification of recipes which Maple sap syrup is the main ingredient. INSET: La Tire (La Teer): Sugar on Snow.
- What's killing sugar maples? // International Wildlife;Jan/Feb85, Vol. 15 Issue 1, p34
For many Quebec residents, sugaring is a way of life. Maple sugar made in Quebec is exported worldwide. The importance of the $30 million industry has spurred the province's government to investigate the ongoing devastation of the area's maple. The cause remains unknown.
- Sugaring made simple. // Country Journal;Mar1986, Vol. 13 Issue 3, p38
With a half a dozen sugar maples, some simple equipment and a fire pit, you can make maple syrup in your backyard. The how-to's of sugaring. INSET: Sugaring suppliers.;cooking with maple syrup..
- Maple syrup desserts. Haedrich, K. // Country Journal;Jan1988, Vol. 15 Issue 1, p22
Discusses ways to use maple syrup as a sweetener in desserts. Recipes include Baked Maple Custard and Maple Baklava.
- Raising money with maple syrup. McKinney, R.L. // Country Journal;Mar/Apr92, Vol. 19 Issue 2, p20
Discusses how the Mount Rogers Volunteer Fire Department and Rescue Squad in Virginia tap 2,500 sugar maples each spring. How volunteers assumed the syrup-making operation; Benefits for community.
- Making maple syrup. Schneider, F. // Country Journal;Mar/Apr92, Vol. 19 Issue 2, p55
Offers a guide to equipment, methods and the secrets of making maple syrup. Tapping the trees; Boiling the sap; The final product; Sources and suppliers.