THOUGHTS ON THE BUSINESS OF LIFE
- Foolishness. // CCPA Monitor;Nov2010, Vol. 17 Issue 6, p9
The article presents quotes on foolishness including the claim of Aristotle about the existence of foolishness in intellectual individuals, advice of Nicolas Boilieu to fools and the view of Herbert Spencer on the effects of folly.
- Socialism. Baker, Daniel B. // Power Quotes;1992, p307
The article presents quotes about socialism, including one from English philosopher Herbert Spencer, another from U.S. author Henry George and another from French politician Leon Blum.
- Healthcare and the Slippery Slope of State Growth: Lessons From the Past. MINGARDI, ALBERTO // Journal of Medicine & Philosophy;Apr2015, Vol. 40 Issue 2, p169
All over Europe, the provision of healthcare services is widely considered a primary duty of the government. Universal access to medical care can be considered a basic ingredient of the so-called "European social model." But if universal access to medical care is seldom questioned, European...
- HERBERT SPENCER AND THE POLITICAL ECONOMY OF MEAN-SPIRITEDNESS REVIVED. Tilman, Rick // Journal of the History of Economic Thought;Jun99, Vol. 21 Issue 2, p137
Focuses on the contributions of social theorist Herbert Spencer to economics in Great Britain. Opposition of Spencer to imperialism and free public education; Criticisms of Spencer to the National Education Bill; Political differences between Spencer and colleague John Hobson.
- HERBERT SPENCER AND 'INEVITABLE' PROGRESS. // History Today;Aug87, Vol. 37 Issue 8, p18
Details the contributions of Herbert Spencer to philosophy. Reasons for the decline in Spencer's reputation; Social and political views; Personal background; Friends and associates.
- Herbert Spencer Came to China: A Discussion of Translation History. Cheng-hua Han // Compilation & Translation Review;Sep2010, Vol. 3 Issue 2, p33
British scholar Herbert Spencer was a famous sociologist, biologist, psychologist, and ethical philosopher in western world during 19th and 20th century. Spencer's books spread to China following the trend of ''xi xue dong ji''. For most part of his books, the path which they came to China was...
- This View of Life: Darwin's Dilemma Gould, Stephen Jay // Natural History;Jun/Jul1974, Vol. 83 Issue 6, p16
Presents an explanation of a title used in a previous issue for an article about Darwinism. Evolution of the word evolution; Details of work done by Herbert Spencer.
- Sheldon Richman on Whether There Is a Libertarian Case for Organized Labor. // Hit & Run;5/20/2012, p5
The article presents the views of British laissez-faire advocate Herbert Spencer on the role of trade unions in social revolution.
- Can Democracy Survive the Disgust of Man for Man? From Social Darwinism to Eugenics. Roucloux, Joël // Diogenes;2002, Vol. 49 Issue 195, p47
Discusses distinctions between social Darwinism and eugenics. Rejection of pity in politics; Denunciation of any political system founded on compassion; Description of the indulgent society as unreasonable, counterproductive and suicidal; Misinterpretation of the thinking of 19th century...