Is there a Limit to data Storage?
- Figure of merit for magneto-optical media based on the dielectric tensor. Mansuripur, M. // Applied Physics Letters;7/7/1986, Vol. 49 Issue 1, p19
A figure of merit is derived for the magneto-optical media used in erasable optical data storage. It is shown that the ratio of the useful signal generated by the polar Kerr effect to the incident laser power is always below the figure of merit, but the figure can be approached if the...
- Thanks for the memory. Peyghambarian, Nasser // Nature;11/23/1995, Vol. 378 Issue 6555, p339
Reports on the commercial availability of magneto-optical disks with densities of about 0.65 gigabits (Gbits) per square inch. Use of the spatial-spectral memory; Storage mechanism; Description of the medium used; Limitations in laser tuning. INSET: Spatial-spectral selective optical memory, by...
- Three years in the making, the ANX is official. Pappalardo, Denise // Network World;09/07/98, Vol. 15 Issue 36, p56
Presents information on the Automotive Network Exchange (ANX), an Internet Protocol based virtual private network. Type of service provided by ANX; Reasons for the one year delay of the ANX VPN project; Listing of performance requirements from the Automotive Industry Action Group (AIAG);...
- The JAL guide to software, courseware, and CD-ROM. McKinzie, Steve; Smith, Allen // Journal of Academic Librarianship;May97, Vol. 23 Issue 3, p263
Reviews the full CD-DOM database Current Issues SourceFile developed by Congressional Information Service.
- The FAQs on data warehousing. Man, Dick // Bank Marketing;Apr97, Vol. 29 Issue 4, p38
Focuses on frequently asked questions (FAQ) regarding data warehousing. Meaning of data warehousing; How a data warehouse works; Difference of information in a data warehouse from data in operational system; Reasons why financial institutions are interested in data warehousing; Goal of a data...
- ANX. Taninecz, George // Industry Week/IW;06/23/97, Vol. 246 Issue 12, p62
Features the automotive industry's Automotive Network Exchange (ANX), a private computer network. Expectation to trim information flow; Provision of a secure, open-standards-based network; Access process; Connectivity to anybody in the industry; Basis of the system's operating cost.
- Super-density floppies. Free, John; Callender, C.O. // Popular Science;Aug92, Vol. 241 Issue 2, p40
Discusses how a different approach to storing data magnetically on floppy disks, called perpendicular recording, is taking hold in the computer industry, boosting the storage capacity of floppies. How it works; Applications.
- Internet on the go. Vizard, Frank // Popular Science;Oct96, Vol. 249 Issue 4, p40
Reports that AT&T will introduce the PocketNet, a mobile phone capable of displaying Internet data, in early 1997. The information that can be displayed; How the text is transmitted; Similar products in Europe.
- DNA logic gates. // R&D Magazine;Aug97, Vol. 39 Issue 9, p11
States that researchers at the University of Rochester, New York have emulated the way computers process data using the length of deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA) input strands to indicate varying logic operations. Hypotheses arrived at by some researchers.