INDEPENDENT RETAILER WATCH: Thirteen Moons Unlucky; Business Mostly Unchanged
- RONALD KOLTNOW: REP OF THE YEAR. Rosen, Judith // Publishers Weekly;4/26/2010, Vol. 257 Issue 17, p35
The article profiles Ronald Koltnow, recipient of the 2010 Representative of the Year award. Koltnow is described as a person who endears himself to customers. He always goes out of his way to meet staff members and asks them about their reading habits. One of his colleagues revealed that...
- WANTED: A few good booksellers. Lahey, Anita // Quill & Quire;Jul98, Vol. 64 Issue 7, p14
Looks into the business operations of various booksellers in book retail industry in Canada. Assessment of the selling skills of staff; Importance of training program to the sale staffs; Sale of Duthie Books in the retail stores; Competition among the book retailers. INSETS: PSEUDONYMS FOR...
- Bookbytes. Quinn, Judy // Publishers Weekly;12/15/1997, Vol. 244 Issue 51, p19
Describes several novels and possible film and publishing rights deals. 'The Street Lawyer,' by John Grisham; `Sole Survivor,' by Derek Hansen; Others.
- Book drives my return to Sales 101. Maurer, Mickey // Indianapolis Business Journal;10/27/2003, Vol. 24 Issue 33, p12A
Reflects on the lessons learned by the author from his bookselling experience. Importance of treating people with dignity; Dependence of salespeople income on each day's success.
- Bible mania. Marty, Martin E. // Christian Century;11/15/2000, Vol. 117 Issue 32, p1199
Explores the reasons for the trend in buying many Bibles. Results of a survey of Bible consumers; Problem facing the Bible industry.
- Children's retailers reveal their fall standouts. // Publishers Weekly;10/28/1996, Vol. 243 Issue 44, p35
Presents the comments of United States booksellers about children's titles in the fall of 1996. Comment by Dennis Ronberg, of Linden Tree Children's books, California, about the popularity of Dr. Seuss's `My Many Colored Days'; `Lily's Purple Plastic Purse,' as the fastest seller in Anne...
- LITERARY. Gottlieb, Robert // Gourmet;Mar2005, Vol. 65 Issue 3, p46
Focuses on several bookstores in London, England. Types of books sold at the bookstores; Attitude of salesmen; Contact information.
- Bookseller/Rep of the Year. // Publishers Weekly;1/9/2006, Vol. 253 Issue 2, p16
The article reports on nominations sought by the journal Publishers Week for its 13th annual Bookseller of the Year and Sales Representative of the Year awards in the U.S. in January 2006. Qualifications for the awards are discussed. Deadlines for the submission of nominations and other...
- TILTING IN THE LISTS. Surguy, Phil // Books in Canada;Aug/Sep78, Vol. 7 Issue 7, p3
Asserts that the job of compiling a report on best-selling books is a chore, one that most booksellers do out of a sense of duty but do not take seriously. Purpose of best-seller lists; Impossibility of generating a perfect best-seller list; Belief of booksellers and publishers that book...