Disappointing Holiday Sales Results for Big Three
- Big Three Futures Darkened by Recession, Competitive Pressures. // Book Publishing Report;Apr2008, Vol. 33 Issue 4, p1
The article reports that three big chains of bookstores are facing difficulty in its 2007 sales due to economic recession and competitive pressures in the U.S. These three big chains are composed of Barnes and Noble, Borders Group Inc. and Books-A-Million Inc. which are facing significant...
- The Dwindle Effect: Big Three Skid in Q1. // Book Publishing Report;Jun2008, Vol. 33 Issue 6, p8
The article reports on the sharp decreases in comparable store sales for the Big Threes including Barnes & Noble Inc., Borders Group Inc. and Books-A-Million Inc. in the U.S. The decline in sales were attributed to the troubled economy, competitive pressures from other stores and lack of...
- From Flat to Worse at Chains. // Publishers Weekly;8/28/2006, Vol. 253 Issue 34, p3
The article reports on the decreased sales of several U.S. retailers. Borders was the last of the three bookselling chains to weigh in with its second quarter results, and its numbers managed to deepen the malaise already established. While sales at Barnes & Noble dipped 1.2% in the quarter, and...
- Chains Report Flat First-Quarter Sales. Milliot, Jim // Publishers Weekly;5/26/2003, Vol. 250 Issue 21, p9
Reports on the sales of the three largest bookstore chains in the U.S. for the first quarter of 2003 ended May 2. Increase in sales at Barnes & Noble; Revenue at Borders Group; Impact of the Iraqi war on total sales at Books-A-Million.
- Chains Post Big Gains in First Quarter. Milliot, Jim // Publishers Weekly;5/24/2004, Vol. 251 Issue 21, p13
Provides information on the sales performance of several bookstore chains in the U.S. for the first quarter ended May 1, 2004. Increase in Barnes & Noble's bookstore segment; First-quarter sales at Borders Group; Operating income of Books-A-Million.
- Bookstore Chains Exceed Expectations. Milliot, Jim // Publishers Weekly;8/23/2004, Vol. 251 Issue 34, p5
Reports on the sales performance of several bookstore chains in the U.S. for the second quarter ended July 31, 2004. Increase in the operating profit for the bookstore segment of Barnes & Noble; Rise in the net income and total revenue of the Borders Group; Growth in sales and decline in net...
- Big Three Credit Nonfiction for Mixed Q3 Financial Results. // Book Publishing Report;Dec2007, Vol. 32 Issue 12, p9
The article reports that the three largest bookstore chains in the U.S., including Barnes & Noble Inc., Borders Group Inc., and Books-A-Million Inc., are nearly universally praising the fall list of new titles and singling out nonfiction in particular. Comparable store sales for the chains...
- A Profitable Period. // Publishers Weekly;5/24/2004, Vol. 251 Issue 21, p13
Provides information on the sales performance of several bookstore chains in the U.S. for the first quarter of 2004. Barnes & Noble; Borders Group; Books-A-Million.
- As Bad As It Gets? // Publishers Weekly;12/1/2008, Vol. 255 Issue 48, p4
The article reports on the decline in the total sales of the three largest bookstore chains in the U.S. for the quarter that ended November 1, 2008. The total sales declined by 3.6 percent, and there is a strong chance that, for the first time since Barnes & Noble, Borders and Books-A-Million...