The school library community: Facing the challenges
- Information is supposed to be free. // School Library Media Activities Monthly;May99, Vol. 15 Issue 9, p4
Editorial. Comments on issues related to service rendered at public libraries in the United States. Costs associated with building a collection of reading materials; Role of the teacher in providing students with an idea on how to gauge monetary value of an information item in terms of price.
- The Student, the School and the Public Library. Borek, Dian // School Libraries in Canada;2001, Vol. 21 Issue 2, p30
Focuses on the importance of communication among the student, the school and the public library in order to gain equity of access to information. Changes in school assignments over time; Approaches to school projects that have been implemented since the publication of the Ontario School Library...
- New study supports value of school libraries. // Reading Today;Apr/May2004, Vol. 21 Issue 5, p25
Presents information on a study conducted by Rutgers University researchers and the Center for International Scholarship in School Libraries on school libraries in Ohio between October 2002 and December 2003. Categories of the study; Ways in which libraries help students; Recommendations for...
- Polemic books in the school library? Yes, but handle with care! Boardman, Edna M. // Book Report;Jan/Feb96, Vol. 14 Issue 4, p24
Focuses on polemic books in a library. Description of a polemic book; Strongly opinionated people as writers; Reason for unsuitability of polemic books for high school students; Examples of polemic titles. INSET: Teaching the polemic..
- Study Ranks California Last in Student-Librarian Ratio. B.G. // American Libraries;Feb99, Vol. 30 Issue 2, p8
Reports on a study by the nonprofit educational-research group EdSource. How California ranked last among all states in the United States for the number of school library media specialists per pupil; National student-librarian average; Comment of California School Library Association President...
- What's in Store for 2004. St. Lifer, Evan // School Library Journal;Jan2004, Vol. 50 Issue 1, p13
Discusses issues facing U.S. school libraries in 2004. Role of librarians in the U.S. government's plan to improve literacy skills among the nation's children; Influence of public libraries on students; Significance of research articulating the librarian's impact on student achievement.
- Librarians Behind the Scenes Before the Year Starts. Howard, Sue // Library Media Connection;Aug/Sep2004, Vol. 23 Issue 1, p44
This article presents library administration tasks for school librarians to accomplish before the schoolyear starts in the United States. Suggestions include: update the bulletin boards and displays; set up the calendar and automation system information before entering client names and...
- MORE TIPS From Your Colleagues. Fullner, Sheryl Kindle; Carpinelli, Tish; Parker, Kathy; Scott, Louise; Simmons, Betsy; Seibel, Jenni // Library Media Connection;Aug/Sep2004, Vol. 23 Issue 1, p12
This article presents tips on elementary and high school library management from school librarians. A Washington middle school library purchases low-priced beach towels for use in programs to promote reading. Laminate-covered plywood counter under windows enable libraries to bring seating up to...
- Accelerated Reader--Using This Tool to Get Students to Read. Stemig, Dana // CSLA Journal;Spring2010, Vol. 34 Issue 1, p10
The author provides tips on how school libraries can be able to use the Accelerated Reader (AR) tool to get students to read. She mentions that the AR tool provides users a Goal-Setting Chart which sets the number of points that a student is expected to earn every time he or she reads. She says...