Striking a Balance
- The skinny on fat. Lorente, Carol Wiley // Vegetarian Times;Dec93, Issue 196, p4
Editorial. Discusses the relation of the Mediterranean diet and decreased risk of heart disease. Studies on the possible health benefits of olive oil; Increase of breast cancer rates in Greece.
- Mediterranean Diet of Greek Islands May Aid Joints. // Environmental Nutrition;Apr2003, Vol. 26 Issue 4, p3
Discusses the benefits of a traditional Mediterranean diet according to a study from Umea University in Sweden published in the March 2003 issue of 'Annals of Rheumatic Diseases.' Focus on diet components that are particularly beneficial to the heart and rheumatoid arthritis, namely, olive oil...
- Trip to Greece offers lessons on the unpredictability of food globalization. Thorn, Bret // Nation's Restaurant News;4/1/2002, Vol. 36 Issue 13, p26
Comments on the food preparation of restaurants in Greece. Appreciation on the Mediterranean diet; Preference for olive oil; Preservation of traditional food customs.
- Olive oil, the Mediterranean and the world. Grigg, David // GeoJournal;Feb2001, Vol. 53 Issue 2, p163
Focuses on the consumption of olive oil outside the Mediterranean region. Virtues of a Mediterranean diet, particularly olive oil; Climate suitable to growing olive trees; Cost of olive oil compared to oilseeds.
- Olive oil can boost your recipes and your health. Moorer, Talise D. // New York Amsterdam News;05/04/2000, Vol. 91 Issue 18, p26
Features Mediterranean recipes using olive oil to avoid the risk of breast cancer. Use of vegetables as toppings for pasta, rice and pizza; Addition of chopped nuts to salads, pasta and other grain dishes; Healthful effects of preparing ovenroasted red bell peppers and eggplant.
- Feature Analysis. // MarketWatch: Drinks;August 2004, Vol. 3 Issue 8, p11
Reports on the cost-effective test of quality for olive oil developed by scientists using optical fingerprinting in Europe. Contribution of the growing popularity of Mediterranean food and the Mediterranean diet to the olive oil business; Interest of consumers in the provenance of food and drink...
- Flavors of the Mediterranean. Julius, Craig "Skip" // Prepared Foods;Aug2007, Vol. 176 Issue 8, p27
The article presents information on Mediterranean cuisine. The characters of Mediterranean foods came from the use of unique spices, vegetables, fruits and nuts. The cuisine is a mixture of regional food, culture, religion and diverse geography. Its flavor is diverse and embracing. The use of...
- Serum sterol responses to increasing plant sterol intake from natural foods in the Mediterranean diet. Escurriol, Verónica; Cofán, Montserrat; Serra, Mercè; Bulló, Mónica; Basora, Josep; Salas-Salvadó, Jordi; Corella, Dolores; Zazpe, Itziar; Martínez-González, Miguel A.; Ruiz-Gutiérrez, Valentina; Estruch, Ramón; Ros, Emilio // European Journal of Nutrition;Sep2009, Vol. 48 Issue 6, p373
Phytosterols in natural foods are thought to inhibit cholesterol absorption. The Mediterranean diet is rich in phytosterol-containing plant foods. To assess whether increasing phytosterol intake from natural foods was associated with a cholesterol-lowering effect in a substudy of a randomized...
- THE CUISINES OF THE MEDITERRANEAN: Ah Sardinia. Hoffman, Sherry // Gourmet Retailer;Oct2008, Vol. 29 Issue 10, p30
The article presents information on Sardinia, Italy and Sardinian cuisine and recipes. Sardinia is the second-largest island in the Mediterranean Sea and is about 500 km off the coast of Italy. It is Italy's leading producer of organic produce. The food of the region ranges from seafood to...