Management of osteoporosis in men: an update and case example
- Effects of Methylprednisolone on Bone Mineral Density and Microarchitecture of Trabecular Bones in Rats with Administration Time and Assessed by Micro-Computed Tomography. S. P. Liu; E. Y. Liao; J. Chen; S. M. Yang; J. W. Li; Z. F. Sheng; H. Mo; X. P. Wu; L. Yao; R. C. Dai // Acta Radiologica;Feb2009, Vol. 50 Issue 1, p93
Background: Little research exists on the dynamic effects of glucocorticoids on bone mineral density (BMD) and microarchitecture of trabecular bones of rats assessed by micro-computed tomography (micro-CT). Purpose: To investigate time-related changes in the BMD and microarchitecture of...
- The value of bone densitometry. Trumbull, Kathy A.; Simon, James A. // American Family Physician;7/1/1993, Vol. 48 Issue 1, p27
Editorial. Discusses the importance of bone densitometry in assessing the risk for osteoporotic fractures. Densitometry techniques; Cost; Role of bone densitometry in screening patients for hormone replacement therapy.
- Bone density testing. // Mayo Clinic Health Letter;Jun1997, Vol. 15 Issue 6, p6
Focuses on bone density testing and presents criteria for qualification for testing. Physiology of osteoporosis and treatment alternatives; Steps in testing; Guidelines for testing presented by the World Health Organization and the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists. INSET: Who...
- Scanning the skeleton. Cowley, Geoffrey; Underwood, Anne // Newsweek;12/9/1996, Vol. 128 Issue 24, p70
Discusses bone densitrometry, a procedure which can reveal signs of osteoporosis. The number of Americans who are affected by osteoporosis; The injuries which postmenopausal women suffering from osteoporosis can suffer; The treatments which are available for the bone disorder; The limited...
- BONE TURNOVER MARKERS AND DIAGNOSIS OF OSTEOPOROSIS. Bindu, P. Sonia; Banji, David; Banji, Otilia J. F.; Kumar, A. P. Ranjith; Laxshmi, C. Vijaya // International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences Review & Resear;Jan/Feb2011, Vol. 6 Issue 2, p3
Osteoporosis is the most common systemic bone disease and cause of fragility fractures. Bone turnover markers (BTMs) measure the rate of bone remodeling allowing for a dynamic assessment of skeletal status and hold promise in identifying those at highest risk of rapid bone loss and subsequent...
- Bone bargain. // Prevention;Apr97, Vol. 49 Issue 4, p40
Announces an ultrasound test that measures bone-mass density in a person's heel. Study published in the August 24, 1996 issue of 'Lancet'; Affordable brittle-bone test; What the research suggests; Additional benefits to the ultrasound test; Ultrasound's potential; Technology not approved for...
- PVH Osteoporosis Center offers bone density test and suggested treatments. // Hudson Valley Business Journal;07/21/97, Vol. 8 Issue 6, p15
Announces the availability of bone density tests at the Osteoporosis Center at Pascack Valley Hospital in Westwood, New Jersey to diagnose osteoporosis. Background on the tests; Additional services offered; Contact information.
- The risk of fracture in incident multiple sclerosis patients: The Danish National Health Registers. Bazelier, Marloes T; Bentzen, Joan; Vestergaard, Peter; Stenager, Egon; Leufkens, Hubert GM; van Staa, Tjeerd-Pieter; de Vries, Frank // Multiple Sclerosis Journal;Nov2012, Vol. 18 Issue 11, p1609
The article presents research that evaluates the risk of fracture in patients with multiple sclerosis (MS) from the Danish National Health Registers. The study shows that MS patients have higher femur/hip risk than the controls. It indicates the significance of disability status more than the...
- International Research & Opinion. // PharmacoEconomics & Outcomes News;5/26/2012, Issue 654, p9
The article offers an overview of the results of a survey which suggested that understandability of the 2010 Osteoporosis Canada Clinical Practice Guidelines and also raised areas of concern, including about the application of 10-year absolute fracture risk.