Geriatrics: the "sexy" specialty
- A rude awakening: post-take ward round in the department of medicine for the elderly. Coni, Nicholas // Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine;Sep1998, Vol. 91 Issue 9, p471
This paper describes the post-take ward round of a department of medicine for the elderly (DME), to portray the nature of the medical admissions and their immediate management. The data concern the patients seen by one consultant in 28 such ward rounds during the last four months of 1997, in a...
- Baby Boomers Headed for Bust? Schwartz, Ronald M. // Nursing Homes: Long Term Care Management;May98, Vol. 47 Issue 5, p10
Reports on the baby boomer generation's impact on the number of people needing health services in the United States. Estimates by the Congressional Research Service on people requiring medical assistance; Example of assistance required by the elderly; Role of a private long term care insurance...
- Caring for aging population becoming big business. Chuvala, Bob // Fairfield County Business Journal;11/26/2001, Vol. 40 Issue 48, p13
Reports on the growth of the eldercare business in the U.S. Offer of in-home non-medical services; Control of the Medicare and Medicaid costs; Offer of assistance to the baby boomer generation.
- wasting time? Glasby, Jon // Nursing Older People;May2002, Vol. 14 Issue 3, p6
Focuses on the guidance on the single assessment for older people launched by the Department of Health in Great Britain. Concept of a single assessment; Types of intervention to be implemented in a single assessment process; Aim of the process to provide advice on various assessment tools and...
- Talking 'bout my generation. Nazarko, Linda // British Journal of Nursing;9/9/2010, Vol. 19 Issue 16, p1004
In the article the author comments on the baby boomer generation's attitude in caring for their ageing parents. She opines that individuals born in Great Britain between 1945 and 1965 feel a sense of entitlement because they were better educated and provided with more social mobility than...
- Aged care model. // Australian Nursing Journal;Aug2007, Vol. 15 Issue 2, p17
The article reports on the Care Teams Model, which is part of a new pay and conditions deal that will be rolled out to 100 residential aged care facilities in South Australia and Northern Territory. The model was tested at the Ridgehaven Lodge in Adelaide's northern suburbs in 2006 and allows a...
- Are baby boomers the greatest? Peck, Richard L. // Nursing Homes: Long Term Care Management;Jan2007, Vol. 56 Issue 1, p6
The article focuses on the baby boom generation in the U.S. The sacrifices of baby boomers for caring for their elderly parents featured in some recent studies are discussed. The author says that baby boomers may turn to be the most selfless and self-sacrificing generation that the country has...
- Preparing to meet the needs of an aging American public. Wong, Faye L. // Nation's Health;Oct2002, Vol. 32 Issue 8, p3
Offers views on the importance of considering aging as a critical public health issue in the 21st century. Impact of the baby boomer trend on public policies and services; Effort of employers to acknowledge aging issues in the workplace; Challenges faced in caring for the elderly.
- 80, 90... 100 years? OSENTON, EVAN // Alberta Views;Nov2013, Vol. 16 Issue 9, p6
An introduction is presented in which the editor discusses various reports within the issue on topics including the impact of the baby boomers' needs on public healthcare, memory loss, and home care of the elderly.