Conservative government scuttles needle exchange
- Panel: Rights of people in prison to HIV prevention, treatment and care. // HIV/AIDS Policy & Law Review;Dec2009, Vol. 14 Issue 2, p84
The article presents summaries of presentations during the 1st Annual Symposium on HIV/AIDS, Law and Human Rights held in Toronto, Ontario. It provides information about the needle exchange programs in prisons with support from international programs. It details the legal and human rights...
- Prevention of HIV Infection among Injection Drug Users in Resource-Limited Settings. Vlahov, David; Robertson, Angela M.; Strathdee, Steffanie A. // Clinical Infectious Diseases;5/15/2010 Supplement 3, Vol. 50, pS114
Injection drug use contributes to considerable global morbidity and mortality associated with human immunodeficiency virus (HW) infection and AIDS and other infections due to blood-borne pathogens through the direct sharing of needles, syringes, and other injection equipment. Of -16 million...
- Needle exchange: Panacea or problem? Hankins, Catherine // CMAJ: Canadian Medical Association Journal;08/01/97, Vol. 157 Issue 3, p275
Editorial. Questions the effectiveness of needle exchange programs in reducing the incidence rate of HIV infection among intravenous drug users in Canada. Statistics on AIDS cases reported; The recommendations of the National Task Force on HIV and Injection Drug Use.
- Invited Commentary: Le MystÃ¨re de MontrÃ©al. Lurie, Peter // American Journal of Epidemiology;1997, Vol. 146 Issue 12, p1003
An introduction is presented in which the author discusses the Montreal study regarding needle exchange programs (NEPs) for prevention of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infections.
- NEWS IN BRIEF: IOWA. // Advocate;3/23/93, Issue 625, p23
Reports that the state health department's advisory committee on AIDS prevention strategy in Iowa has made several recommendations. Distribution of condoms to sexually active teenagers; Establishment of a state intravenous needle-exchange program.
- WASHINGTON. // Advocate;5/23/89, Issue 525, p17
Reports on the ruling of the Washington state attorney general which held that the needle exchange programs in Tacoma and Seattle designed to stem the spread of AIDS are illegal.
- NEWS IN BRIEF: DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA. // Advocate;7/30/92, Issue 608, p26
Reports on the district council in Washington D.C.'s approval of the creation of a needle-exchange program as an AIDS prevention measure.
- Inmates urge needle-exchange programs. Kondro, Wayne // CMAJ: Canadian Medical Association Journal;3/9/2010 Supplement, Vol. 182, pE210
The article reports on the first person accounts that documents drug use or sharing of needles inside prisons in Canada. It states that the latest report titled "Under the Skin," argues that the accounts is demonstrating the need for needle-exchange programs in Canada's prisons. It notes that...
- Needle exchange on trial. Light, Julie // Progressive;Mar95, Vol. 59 Issue 3, p13
Looks at a needle-exchange program in West Oakland and offers comments from Oakland city council members about state statutes prohibiting the distribution of hypodermic needles without a prescription. Activists who continue to be arrested for trying to stem the spread of AIDS; Trial of five...