Wasting emergency aid in Africa
- Project: Zero Ohio. McCalla, Erin // Outlook: Columbus;Dec2012, Vol. 17 Issue 7, p20
The article discusses aspects of the Project: Zero Ohio (PZO). It notes that the Dr. Randy Sharma established the PZO after his very sick patient with AIDS was denied from proper medications for not having health insurance and almost die. It mentions that the charity for HIV/AIDS raised money to...
- Gift for Life raises $200,000 at January gala event. // Home Accents Today;Mar2009, Vol. 24 Issue 3, p12
The article reports that Gift for Life has raised $200,000 from its 17th Annual Stakes are High fund-raising event, held during the New York International Gift Fair in January 2009. According to Tabitha Bowling, chairman of Gift for Life, the money will be used for HIV/AIDS research and...
- Hot under the white collar. Bailey, Paul // Bulletin with Newsweek;04/24/2001, Vol. 119 Issue 6271, p8
Comments on corporate downsizing in senior executive ranks in the United States and the move of major drug companies to reduce prices of drugs for HIV-positive people in sub-Saharan Africa. Number of employees affected by the downsizing effected by Qantas Airways Ltd. and Westpac Banking Corp.;...
- Philanthropy Versus Controls. Sekel, Kim // Scientific Computing & Instrumentation;May2001, Vol. 18 Issue 6, p5
Suggests philanthropy as a way to solve the problem regarding the law which allows the United States government to produce generic versions of HIV medications for third world nations. Conflict between pharmaceutical companies and human interest groups; Efforts made by Merck & Co. Inc. and...
- New guidelines issued for primary care of people with HIV. // Public Health Reports;May/Jun94, Vol. 109 Issue 3, p458
Focuses on the booklet `Early Evaluation and Management of HIV Infection,' guidelines by the Public Health Service's Agency for Health Care Policy and Research; Recommendations about disclosure of HIV status; Medical evaluation and management.
- Two studies show high promise in new class of AIDS drugs. Henahan, Sean // Drug Topics;2/5/96, Vol. 140 Issue 3, p48
Reports on the discovery of anti-HIV therapy drugs. Background information; CD4 T cell; HIV viral burden; Trials; Implications; Plans and expectations.
- Study halted due to results. // Drug Topics;7/21/97, Vol. 141 Issue 14, p7
States that as a result of significant differences in the treatment arms, researchers investigating antiretroviral therapy in Human Immunodeficiency Virus-infected children have ceased the research. Reasons for the decision to halt the study.
- Combination of Fluoxetine and Cognitive Therapy for the Treatment of Major Depression Among People with HIV Infection: A Time-Series Analysis Investigation. Savard, Josee; Laberge, Benoit; Gauthier, Janel G.; Fournier, Jean-Pierre; Bouchard, Stephane; Baril, Jean-Guy; Bergeron, Michel G. // Cognitive Therapy & Research;Feb98, Vol. 22 Issue 1, p21
The aim of the present study was to evaluate the efficacy of a combined treatment of fluoxetine and cognitive therapy for the treatment of major depression in HIV-infected patients. Six HIV-seropositive patients with major depression participated in this study using a multiple-baseline...
- ACUPUNCTURE AGAINST A.I.D.S. IN AFRICA. // Guidepoints: Acupuncture in Recovery;May2003, p1
Reports that Ugandan medical professionals have learned to do acupuncture to treat HIV-positive persons. Training of caregivers; Facilitation of the acu-detox-with-medication group; Principles of Taoism.