Canadian law wins praise
- Temporal Trends in Macrobenthos Community Structure and Redundancy in a Shallow Coastal Lagoon (Valli di Comacchio, Northern Adriatic Sea). Munari, Cristina; Rossi, Remigio; Mistri, Michele // Hydrobiologia;Nov2005, Vol. 550 Issue 1-3, p95
Temporal trends in macrobenthic communities of the Valli di Comacchio, the largest lagoonal ecosystem in the Po River deltaic area, were examined at four sampling sites located along a putative stress gradient and characterized by different levels of disturbance. Trends of parameters...
- THE OTHER SIDE OF CARBON TRADING. Faris, Stephan // Fortune International (Europe);9/3/2007, Vol. 156 Issue 4, p66
The article discusses efforts by environmentalists to offset greenhouse-gas emissions in Europe by planting trees in Uganda. While the idea seemed like a sound concept, it has faltered in execution as farmers are being evicted from their land to make room for the forests. The author examines the...
- Superfund Matures Gracefully. Harris, Robert H.; Vandeven, Jay; Tilchin, Mike // Issues in Science & Technology;Summer2003, Vol. 19 Issue 4, p62
Reports on the improvement of Superfund, one of the main programs used by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to clean hazardous waste sites. Information on the 1986 Superfund Amendments and Reauthorization Act; Revision of the National Contingency Plan that sets out the rules and...
- Progress report on proposed national institutes for the environment. Howe, Henry F.; Hubbell, Stephen P. // BioScience;Sep90, Vol. 40 Issue 8, p567
Provides information on a new agency under consideration, to be called the National Institutes for the Environment (NIE). Agency will fill the gap between basic science and regulation.
- Intergenerational Impartiality: Replacing Discounting by Probability Weighting. NG Yew-Kwang // Journal of Agricultural & Environmental Ethics;May2005, Vol. 18 Issue 3, p237
Abstract Intergenerational impartiality requires putting the welfare of future generations at par with that of our own. However, rational choice requires weighting all welfare values by the respective probabilities of realization. As the risk of non-survival of mankind is strictly positive for...
- India ranks low in environment protection. // Chemical Business;May2006, Vol. 20 Issue 5, p70
Reports on the performance of India in the indicators related to environmental protection of natural eco-system. Ranking of the country in terms of the Environmental Performance Index (EPI); Information on the EPI score of China; Top ranking countries including New Zealand and Sweden.
- Emerging Environmental Issues. Munn, Ted; Timmerman, Peter // Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society;Jul2000, Vol. 81 Issue 7, p1603
Discusses emerging environmental issues in the last half of the 20th century. Categories of environmental issues; Entry points into the identification of such issues in the future; Definition of an emerging environmental issue; Past experience in identifying and in the evolution of these...
- Environmental science: Helping shape EPA's agenda. Bretthauer, Eric // EPA Journal;Sep/Oct90, Vol. 16 Issue 5, p39
Discusses how environmental science is helping to establish the agenda for environmental protection for the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). Establishment of EPA's clinical health research facility in 1970; Long-term research efforts from regional and global environmental issues in the...
- EMagazine. // E THIS WEEK;1/8/2012, p1
The article presents abstracts on environmental issues including the effort to cut down on antibiotics in livestocks, blog on the Hawaii's new rule for more renewable energy and question and answer on the impact of global warming on water supplies.