Hole in the Wall
- Back 2 Basics. McKew, Howard // Engineered Systems;Oct2009, Vol. 26 Issue 10, p11
The article offers information on several aspects on owner's project requirements (OPR) and the basis of design (BofD) in mechanical engineering systems in the U.S. It discusses the seven fundamental categories related to OPR and BofD that include tunnels, toolbooths and locomotive facilities....
- NEW YORK CENTRAL steam memories. Moyer, Paul M. // Classic Trains;Fall2013, Vol. 14 Issue 3, p38
A personal narrative is presented which explores the author's experience of growing up during 1950-57 and spending many hours with his father watching and photographing steam engines, mostly around their hometown of Dayton, Ohio.
- Direct steam injection humidification: Is it safe for building occupants? Turpin, Joanna R. // Engineered Systems;Apr2001, Vol. 18 Issue 4, p62
Focuses on the pros and cons of using direct steam injection humidification in buildings. Concerns raised over chemicals used to inhibit scale formation and corrosion in boiler systems; Complaints at the Herbert F. Johnson Museum of Art at Cornell University in Ithaca, New York. INSETS:...
- www.achrnews.com. // Air Conditioning Heating & Refrigeration News;2/12/2007, Vol. 230 Issue 7, p4
Several articles related to heating ventilation air conditioning industry from the Web site www.achrnews.com are presented. One provides few tips in troubleshooting situations involving drive, motor and load. Next, presents some nagging questions and helpful answers for those who install steam...
- Full steam ahead with a technology of the future. Tarr, Simon // Heating & Ventilating Review;Nov2013, Vol. 53 Issue 1, p28
The article discusses the utilization of steams in manufacturing industries. It focuses on the industrial processes and applications of steam in transferring heat energy. It outlines some of the processes heating applications used by several sectors in Great Britain that provides stakeholders an...
- UVC: Florida Hospital Puts HVAC Maintenance Under A New Light. Keikavousi, Firouz // Engineered Systems;Mar2004, Vol. 21 Issue 3, p60
Discusses the strategy of Florida Hospital in coil cleaning and maintenance of HVAC system. Installation of ultraviolet-C lights in the AHU; Infection control benefits of ultraviolet-C lights.
- Adjustable-frequency drives provide savings and comfort at medical complex. // Consulting-Specifying Engineer;Nov97, Vol. 22 Issue 5, p20
Reports on the upgrade of the heating, ventilation, air-conditioning and chilled water systems of Harper Hospital in Detroit, Michigan. Installation of adjustable-frequency drives (AFDs); Description of facility; Use of 200-horsepower pumps; Advantages of AFDs.
- Hospital energy, maintenance costs slashed by vsd's. // Engineered Systems;Jul97, Vol. 14 Issue 7, p30
Reports on the upgrading and retrofit program of the heating, ventilation and air conditioning system of Froedtert Memorial Lutheran Hospital in 1992. Projected goals proposed by the hospital for the system's upgrading; Systems installed by Magnatek Drives and Systems and Johnson Controls,...
- Vfd technology helps hospital solve problems. // Engineered Systems;Nov96, Vol. 13 Issue 11, p26
Describes the installation of 26 variable-frequency drives (vfds) from ABB Industrial Systems to solve heating, ventilation and air conditioning system problems in St. Louis Children's Hospital in St. Louis, Missouri. Description of the hospital; Interconnection of supply and exhaust ductwork...