Bone Marrow-Derived Mesenchymal Stem Cells Influence Early Tendon-Healing in a Rabbit Achilles Tendon Model
- Treating Achilles Tendon Rupture in Rats with Bone-Marrow-Cell Transplantation Therapy. Okamoto, Naofumi; Kushida, Taketoshi; Oe, Kenichi; Umeda, Masayuki; Ikehara, Susumu; Iida, Hirokazu // Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery, American Volume;12/1/2010, Vol. 92-A Issue 17, p2776
Background: Bone marrow cells possess multipotentiality and have been used for several treatments. We hypothesized that bone marrow cells might differentiate into regenerated tendon and that several cytokines within bone marrow cells might accelerate tendon healing. Therefore, we treated...
- EASY ANKLE CARE. Fiske, Brian // Bicycling;Aug2008, Vol. 49 Issue 7, p42
The article offers stretching exercises in maintaining the suppleness and pliability of the Achilles tendon.
- Quantification of Achilles Tendon Force Enhancement by Passively Induced Dorsiflexion Stretches. Nicol, Caroline; Komi, Paavo V. // Journal of Applied Biomechanics;Aug1999, Vol. 15 Issue 3, p221
Investigates the magnitude of the reflex to force enhancement in vivo during passive stretches of the Achilles tendon (AT) in a female subject. Induction of dorsiflexes in a motorized ankle ergometer; Usage of buckle transducer to sense AT force; Elaboration of the additional force enhancement...
- Ossification of Achilles tendon â€“ report of three cases. Hatori, Masahito; Matsuda, Michimasa; Kokubun, Shoichi // Archives of Orthopaedic & Trauma Surgery;Jul2002, Vol. 122 Issue 7, p414
Background. Ossification of the Achilles tendon is reportedly an unusual condition. The microscopic features of such ossifications have been not well documented. Methods. We treated three patients with bilateral ossification of the Achilles tendon and examined the specimens microscopically. The...
- Efficacy of a mesenchymal stem cell loaded surgical mesh for tendon repair in rats. Schon, Lew C.; Gill, Nicholas; Thorpe, Margaret; Davis, Joel; Nadaud, Joshua; Jooyoung Kim; Molligan, Jeremy; Zijun Zhang // Journal of Translational Medicine;2014, Vol. 12 Issue 1, p1
Objectives The purpose of this study was to investigate the efficacy of a composite surgical mesh for delivery of mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs) in tendon repair. Methods The MSC-loaded mesh composed of a piece of conventional surgical mesh and a layer of scaffold, which supported MSC-embedded...
- Stem cell therapy of tendinopathies: suggestions from veterinary medicine. Muttini, Aurelio; Salini, Vincenzo; Valbonetti, Luca; Abate, Michele // Muscles, Ligaments & Tendons Journal (MLTJ);Jul-Sep2012, Vol. 2 Issue 3, p187
The ideal strategy for tendon healing has not been identified to date. Recently, the use of stem cells based therapy has been proposed, due to their ability to proliferate and to differentiate towards specific connective tissues lineages. Embryonic stem cells should be considered the ideal cell...
- Anatomically correct. Balf, Todd // GQ: Gentlemen's Quarterly;Mar95, Vol. 65 Issue 3, p158
Focuses on the Achilles tendon, the thickest sinew of the human body. Function; Weaknesses; Maintenance; Ailments of the Achilles tendon; Remedies; Surgical correction.
- Abstracts of current literature. Seymour, Ron // Physical Therapy;Jun1998, Vol. 78 Issue 6, p648
Presents a summary of the article `Functional Bracing for Rupture of the Achilles Tendon: Clinical Results and Analysis of Ground-Reaction Forces and Temporal Data,' by G.P. McComis, D.A. Nawoczenski and K.E. DeHaven which was published in the `Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery Am' dated 1997.
- Right Shoe Can Protect Achilles Tendon. // USA Today Magazine;Feb2002, Vol. 130 Issue 2681, p5
Offers tips on the prevention of painful Achilles tendon for athletes. Wearing of shoes that bend in the middle; Replacement of worn shoes; Warm-up exercises; Warning signs of Achilles tendinitis.