NIST TESTS PPV IN HIGH RISE
- PRESSURE PRECEPTS. Garcia, Kriss; Kauffmann, Reinhard // Fire Chief;Dec2006, Vol. 50 Issue 12, p40
The article focuses on the importance of complete understanding of the precautions required to safely use the positive-pressure ventilation tactic in fighting fires. Danger is an element when positive-pressure attack is improperly placed into operation or used in situations where it should not....
- NIST Researchers Propose Test Methods for Thermal Imagers. // Professional Safety;Apr2006, Vol. 51 Issue 4, p57
The article focuses on the proposals of the researchers of the National Institute of Standards and Technology to test the methods for thermal imagers in an effort to save lives. The devices may be used to locate victims in a burning building or to find fire sources in a smoky environment. The...
- NRMCA tracks feds' construction workshops. // Concrete Products;May2014, Vol. 117 Issue 5, p8
The article discusses a U.S. National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) workshop held through April 2014 to early 2015 at NIST's office at Gaithersburg, Maryland, which was held to provide guidelines for consistently safe buildings and infrastructure.
- RX For Life Safety Design: Collaboration Part II. Holdaway, Ronald G. // Engineered Systems;Jan2006, Vol. 23 Issue 1, p54
The article presents a discussion on the importance of installing smoke control systems in buildings. Architects, mechanical engineers, and electrical engineers must work as a team for designing efficient life safety systems for buildings. Various building and fire codes must be used to...
- Firefighter safety options highlighted in NIST report. Lorenzi, Neal // Professional Safety;Sep97, Vol. 42 Issue 9, p47
Reports that firefighters industry representatives and National Institute of Standard and Technology (NIST) fire experts met to discuss firefighters vulnerability to burning buildings. Reference to a report issued by NIST; Number of firefighters who suffer injuries annually; Detailed information...
- news in brief. // Fire Engineering;Sep2015, Vol. 168 Issue 9, p36
The article offers news briefs related to fire engineering in the U.S. as of September 2015. Topics discussed include the Research Roadmap for Smart Fire Fighting released by the Fire Protection Research Foundation (FPRF) and National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), a clinical...
- Shouting fire in a crowded building. Proctor, Paul // Aviation Week & Space Technology;11/17/1997, Vol. 147 Issue 20, p21
Informs that the US National Institute of Standards and Technology has combined fire modeling software with advanced sensors and annunciator panels to quickly pinpoint and isolate building fires and other hazardous events. Features of the so-called in-wall smart sensing technology.
- NIST Proposes Conformity Assessment Guidelines. // Industrial Environment;Jan2000, Vol. 11 Issue 1, p1
Reports on the proposal for a conformity assessment guidelines by the National Institute of Standards and Technology for federal agencies in the United States.
- NBS renamed National Institute of Standards and Technology. // Library Journal;11/15/1988, Vol. 113 Issue 19, p20
Reports on the renaming of the National Bureau of Standards of the U.S. Department of Commerce into the National Institute of Standards and Technology. Reason for the name change; Functions of the institute.