Money Can't Solve All of Fire Service's Problems
- All Due Respect. Antonellis Jr., Paul J. // Fire Chief;Dec2006, Vol. 50 Issue 12, p30
The article focuses on the establishment of a formal line-of-duty death notification policy by fire chiefs to ease the bereaved family of fire fighters from stress and provide support for those who deliver the news. The author points out that one worst duty of a fire chief is to perform the...
- Fair Labor Standards Act: `White-collar' exemptions as... Clark, Randy K. // Fire Engineering;Jan1998, Vol. 151 Issue 1, p107
Discusses how fire service managers can comply with the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA). How to develop a plan for FLSA compliance; Information about the administrative/executive exemption; Problems that arise in applying the salary test to fire departments.
- ESD 1 approves pay guidelines. // Lakelander (Whitney, TX);10/1/2014, Vol. 27 Issue 38, p5
The article offers information on the regular meeting of the Hill County Emergency Services District (ESD) 1 in Texas that was held on September 18, 2014 to address of how fire department members will be paid for the 2014-2015 year.
- Round 6 training reimbursement letters are in the mail. West, Bruce // Minnesota Fire Chief;Sep/Oct2013, Vol. 50 Issue 1, p13
The article offers information on training reimbursement program adopted by the Minnesota Board of Firefighter Training and Education (MBFTE). It states that the NFPA 1001 Program aims to provide free training for firefighters in a department. It mentions that the board of directors of the MNFTE...
- Reflecting on the Anoka County fire protection council. Kapler, Dean // Minnesota Fire Chief;Nov/Dec2015, Vol. 52 Issue 2, p31
The article focuses on the Anoka County Fire Protection Council (ACFPC), a group of fire departments involving 22 communities from all of Anoka County in Minnesota. A brief historical overview of the creation of ACFPC in the mid 1970's is given. It discusses the discovery that the ACFPC is not a...
- ESD 1 discusses new VFD payment system. // Lakelander (Whitney, TX);3/27/2013, Vol. 26 Issue 13, p8
The article reports on the new voluntary fire department (VFD) payment system wherein member FD will be compensated according to the number of calls answered.
- Fire Safety Surcharge Bill. Zikmund, Nyle // Minnesota Fire Chief;Nov/Dec2005, Vol. 42 Issue 2, p15
The article discusses the Fire Safety Surcharge Bill in Minnesota. The Minnesota State Fire Chiefs Association (MSFCA) introduced the Fire Marshal Tax bill to provide sufficient funding for the Minnesota Fire Marshal's office. A similar bill, entitled the Fire Safety Surcharge Bill, was...
- Million-Dollar Baby. Ruckriegel, Ed // Fire Chief;May2010, Vol. 54 Issue 5, p32
The article focuses on how fire-prevention fees can provide a tremendous amount of revenue for fire departments in the U.S. It suggests that fire departments should impose fire-prevention program fees including inspection fees, plan-review fees and permit fees. It also advises that fire chiefs...
- FDNY seeking more minorities and women. Malcolm, Noreen // New York Amsterdam News;9/21/2006, Vol. 97 Issue 39, p15
The article informs that the Fire Department of New York (FDNY) is looking for Blacks, Latinos and women to join its workforce. Employees of FDNY will have the opportunity to earn a good salary and benefits. The next firefighter exam has been scheduled for January 20, 2007. The applicant must be...