Hurricanes set to return with a bang
- INTO the EYE of the STORM. // Weekly Reader News - Edition 4;10/31/2003, Vol. 85 Issue 10, p2
Focuses on the important role played by hurricane hunters in providing information regarding the intensity and path of a storm. Definition of a hurricane; Process by which a hurricane is formed; Description on how the hurricane hunters perform their work; Storm rating. INSETS: Rating a...
- The 1996 hurricane seasons! How active will it be? // International Insurance Monitor;1996 1st Quarter, Vol. 49 Issue 1, p9
Forecasts storms and hurricanes that will hit the Caribbean Area in 1996. Suppressing influence of early stratospheric QBO winds.
- Major storms headed for US Gulf this season? // Chemical Market Reporter;4/10/2006, Vol. 269 Issue 14, p12
The article reports that the U.S. Gulf Coast has a nearly 50 percent probability of being hit by a major hurricane in what forecasters said will be a much more active storm season in 2006. Weather forecasters said that the Atlantic basin will likely to generate 17 named tropical storms in the...
- Regardless of the Season, Weather is a Harried Hassle for Me. Schwabe, Lynne // State Journal (WV);10/28/2011, Vol. 27 Issue 42, p37
The author presents her views on weather forecasting with special reference to an experience of predicting the Hurricane Irene and the big winter storm.
- Busy 2000 Hurricane Season Predicted. // Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society;Jul2000, Vol. 81 Issue 7, p1622
Reports on forecasts of a continuation in the occurrence of destructive hurricanes in 2000. Number of hurricanes predicted in North America; Number of tropical storms expected within the year.
- Hurricane Forecasters: "We Were Not Successful.". Gilkey, Eric // Claims;Jan2008, Vol. 56 Issue 1, p7
The article provides information on a preseason prediction report for the 2007 hurricane season from storm forecasters at the Department of Atmospheric Science at Colorado State University. According to Philip J. Klotzbach and William M. Gray, who co-authored the report, they anticipated an...
- Performance of the experimental HWRF in the 2008 Hurricane Season. Yeh, Kao-San; Zhang, Xuejin; Gopalakrishnan, Sundararaman; Aberson, Sim; Rogers, Robert; Marks, Frank; Atlas, Robert // Natural Hazards;Dec2012, Vol. 63 Issue 3, p1439
In response to the needs of improving hurricane forecasts, we have built an experimental version of the operational Hurricane Weather Research and Forecasting Model (HWRF), which is based on the Weather Research and Forecasting Nonhydrostatic Mesoscale Model of the National Oceanic and...
- Hurricane Watch 2007. Gilkey, Eric // Claims;Jun2007, Vol. 55 Issue 6, p10
The article deals with predicting hurricanes and tropical storms for 2007. According to forecasters, slow cyclone seasons will be the exception for next several years. The Atlantic Oceanographic and Meteorological Laboratory says that the formation of Tropical Storm Andrea prior to the official...
- Strong Hurricane Season Predicted This Year. Pike, Joe // Travel Agent;5/28/2007, Vol. 329 Issue 11, p10
Information about several issues discussed at the conference regarding the possible hurricanes and storms that could hit the U.S. and the Caribbean in 2007 is presented. Officials from federal and local agencies such as National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), Federal Emergency...