A case-control study of the pathology of oesophageal disease in systematic sclerosis (scleroderma)
- The development of systemic sclerosis classification criteria. Walker, Jennifer G.; Pope, Janet; Baron, Murray; LeClercq, Sharon; Hudson, Marie; Taillefer, Suzanne; Edworthy, Steven M.; Nadashkevich, Oleg; Fritzler, Marvin J. // Clinical Rheumatology;Sep2007, Vol. 26 Issue 9, p1401
Systemic sclerosis (SSc) is a rare connective tissue disorder whose aetiology remains obscure, although environmental and genetic influences are likely to play a role. Disease registries have contributed to enhancing our understanding of this debilitating illness, but without sensitive,...
- Idiopathic Oesophageal Dysmotility Disorder: Stridor Secondary to Megaesophagus. Natesh, B. G.; Caton, N.; Kim, D.; Shetty, A. // Case Reports in Otolaryngology;2013, p1
We present an interesting case of an elderly lady who presented with stridor caused by megaesophagus secondary to an acquired idiopathic dysmotility disorder. We discuss the aetiology and management of megaesophagus secondary to this condition and how it differs from megaesophagus secondary to...
- Dyke-Davidoff-Masson syndrome. Shetty, D.S.; Lakhkar, B.N.; John, J.R. // Neurology India;Mar2003, Vol. 51 Issue 1, p136
Reports on the case of a 21-year-old man with Dyke-Davidoff-Masson syndrome. Presentation of man with seizures, behavioral changes and left-sided hemiparesis; Hemiatrophy of the left side of the body; Etiological factors.
- Cause of facial atrophy. O'Connor, Patrick G. // Cortlandt Forum;08/25/98, Vol. 11 Issue 8, p95
Discusses the physiological manifestations of facial atrophy. Possible causes of atrophy disorder; Symptomatic signs of the disease; Morphologic changes associated with facial atrophy.
- FUNCTIONAL CAUSES OF DYSPHAGIA. McMahon, John M. // American Journal of Gastroenterology;Jan1956, Vol. 25 Issue 1, p51
Studies the functional causes of dysphagia by researchers from Bessemer, Alabama. Identification of three factors that cause dysphagia; Indications showing that cardiospasm is a psychosomatic disorder; Use of psychotherapy as an integral part of the management along with dilatation.
- The epidemiology of trachoma in Eastern Equatoria and Upper Nile States, southern Sudan. Ngondi, Jeremiah; Onsarigo, Alice; Liknawadamu; Matende, Ibrahim; Baba, Samson; Reacheç, Mark; Emerson, Paul; Zingeser, James // Bulletin of the World Health Organization;Dec2005, Vol. 83 Issue 12, p904
Objective Limited surveys and anecdotal data indicate that trachoma is endemic in the states of Eastern Equatoria and Upper Nile in southern Sudan. However, its magnitude and geographical distribution are largely unknown. We conducted surveys to ascertain the prevalence and geographical...
- Association between markers of the metabolic syndrome and lower urinary tract symptoms in the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES III). Rohrmann, S.; Smit, E.; Giovannucci, E.; Platz, E. A. // International Journal of Obesity;Mar2005, Vol. 29 Issue 3, p310
OBJECTIVE:: To examine the association of components of the metabolic syndrome with lower urinary tract symptoms (LUTS), which often result from prostate enlargement and heightened tone of prostate and bladder smooth muscle. DESIGN:: Third National Health and Examination Survey (NHANES III),...
- Biomedical research?from numerators to denominators. Perry, Ivan J. // Nature Medicine;Aug99, Vol. 5 Issue 8, p853
Focuses on the role of biomedical research in providing insights into disease causation. Limitations of clinical research in addressing the causes of diseases; Contribution of molecular biology in elucidating disease mechanisms.
- Digital ulcers in scleroderma: staging, characteristics and sub-setting through observation of 1614 digital lesions. Amanzi, Laura; Braschi, Francesca; Fiori, Ginevra; Galluccio, Felice; Miniati, Irene; Guiducci, Serena; Conforti, Maria-Letizia; Kaloudi, Olga; Nacci, Francesca; Sacu, Oana; Candelieri, Antonio; Pignone, Alberto; Rasero, Laura; Conforti, Domenico; Matucci-Cerinic, Marco // Rheumatology;Jul2010, Vol. 49 Issue 7, p1374
Objective. To evaluate in SSc, the frequency of digital lesions and the morphology, characteristics, natural course and time to healing of 1614 digital ulcers (DUs).