Beta Trackers A Threat to Closet Indexers
- Sample Portfolios. Culloton, Dan // Morningstar Fund Family Reports: Vanguard;Jul2008, Issue 62, Special section p1
The author reflects on the creation of portfolios for Vanguard Mutual Funds. He claims that portfolio is complex, and to make it easier he limit each portfolio to five funds because investors often hurt themselves by overdiversifying. He further states that there are enough varieties of index...
- Getting Back On The Bull. Anderson, James A. // Black Enterprise;Nov2003, Vol. 34 Issue 4, p91
Looks at the status of the capital markets in the United States as of November 2003. Rise of major stock indexes in the country; Signs of economic recovery after 31 months of decline; Lists of company stocks which investors can put their investments; Mutual funds that are attractive; Discussion...
- funds that make sense. Vinzant, Carol // Fortune;3/15/1999, Vol. 139 Issue 5, p132
Discusses various features of mutual funds. Avoidance of funds with excessive expenses and trading costs by investors; Recommendation for Vanguard Total Stock Market Index; Domination of index by handful of corporate giants.
- Proliferation of mutual funds adds to investor confusion. Harding, Sy // New Hampshire Business Review;09/22/2000, Vol. 22 Issue 21, p20
Asserts that the proliferation of mutual funds is adding to investor confusion. Evolution from investment trusts; Creation of funds which track stock price indexes; Introduction of exchange-traded funds, mutual funds that trade on the stock exchanges and can be bought and sold like stocks.
- WEALTH MANAGEMENT MEDIA SCAN. // American Banker;12/12/2006, Vol. 171 Issue 237, p7
The article presents topics consumer financial publications have been writing about during the week of December 12, 2006. Older investors are turning to section 529 plans to enhance their retirement savings. Short-selling and leveraging, two strategies brought together in so-called 120/20 funds,...
- Greed Conquers Fear. Kalwarski, Tara // Money;Jan2004, Vol. 33 Issue 1, p50
Discusses the reactions of investors and shareholders to the scandals in the mutual fund industry. Rise in the S & P 500 by 23 percent; Suggestion that the scandals have not negatively affected fund flows.
- L&G launches ex UK tracker fund. Hughes, Frances // Fund Strategy;3/31/2008, p7
The article reports that Legal & General (L&G) in Great Britain has introduced the L&G International Index trust that tracks the capital performace of global equity markets through the FTSE World index excluding the tracker fund of Great Britain. This move of the firm conincides with the...
- OTHER SELECTIONS. // Dow Theory Forecasts;3/8/2010, Vol. 66 Issue 10, p12
The article presents the "Dow Theory Forecasts" top 15 utilities portfolio, along with their recommended mutual funds in the U.S. It notes that the top 15 utilities portfolio is designed for investors who seek income and wish to have their own traditional utilities. It states that the...
- Challenge for LICs. Freeman, Peter // Money (Australia Edition);Dec2006/Jan2007, Issue 86, p140
The article looks at the challenges facing investors who uses listed investment companies (LICs) for investing in local shares in Australia. The buy-and-hold investment style of largest LICs including Argo Investments and Milton Corp. limits their scope to add value in flat markets. Tolhurst...