Methanol endgame starts to take shape
- New standards proposed for water heater efficiency. // LP/Gas;Jun2000, Vol. 60 Issue 6, p18
Reports on the proposed standards of the United States (U.S.) federal government for electric and gas-powered water heaters. Estimated cost savings from the proposal; Spending of people in the U.S. on water heater per year.
- US spot jump may spur contract hike. BURRIDGE, ELAINE; KELLEY, LANE // ICIS Chemical Business;11/1/2010, Vol. 278 Issue 15, p16
The article reports that the spot prices of methanol in the U.S. has touched the year high level of 384 dollar/ tonne on October 21, 2010.
- Fuel Cells For Handhelds Showing Promise. Morrison, David G. // Electronic Design;4/29/2002, Vol. 50 Issue 9, p33
Features Mechanical Technology Inc.'s methanol-powered fuel cells for handheld devices. Power output; Polymer-membrane-based fuel cell combined with a fuel cartridge; Efforts to replace lithium-ion based battery.
- Smaller Fuel Cells Get Closer To Replacing Batteries. Gawel, Richard // Electronic Design;5/27/2002, Vol. 50 Issue 11, p34
Focuses on Jet Propulsion Laboratory's design of small fuel cells for portable electronics. Problems with large fuel cells; Design of the small fuel cells; Use of liquid methanol as the fuel.
- Methanol standoff: `After you, Alphonse'. // National Petroleum News;Aug93, Vol. 85 Issue 9, p8
Reports on the stalemate between vehicle manufacturers and fuel suppliers concerning fuel methanol marketing. `Chicken or egg' dilemma; Formation of partnerships with larger independent marketers ready to sell methanol as the response from the methanol industry; Inherent benefits of methanol.
- Toshiba targets portable PCs with direct methanol fuel cell. // Electronics Weekly;3/19/2003, Issue 2091, p15
Evaluates the prototype direct methanol fuel cell developed by Toshiba for portable personal computers. Components of the actual cell; Functions of the data link for personal computers; Capacity.
- Methanol production may boost efficiency. Williams, Drew // Pollution Engineering;Oct97, Vol. 29 Issue 10, p10
Announces the development of a methanol-generating coal gasification process by Air Products and Chemicals Inc. in partnership with Eastman Chemical Co. and the US Department of Energy. Comparison between the conventional process and the coal-gasification process; Benefits of the technology.
- European methanol contracts slipping in Q3. YEO, ROSS // ICIS Chemical Business;6/27/2011, Vol. 279 Issue 23, p16
The article presents comments on the European methanol 2011 third-quarter contract price, which has been set at 295 euro/torme.
- Reform school. // Automotive Industries;Nov95, Vol. 175 Issue 11, p22
Reports that scientists at the Argonne National Labs have perfected a type of fuel cell, called a methanol reformer, which does not require the storage of hydrogen gas. How the fuel cell works; Inexpensiveness of the cell.