Necrotizing Skin Ulceration in Antibiotic-Induced Agranulocytosis
- ABSTRACTS. // Gerontologist;Oct2000 Special Issue, Vol. 40, p67
Presents several abstracts about diseases and health of elderly persons. `Grandmothers' Roles: Survivors of Kwashiorkor in Ghana,' by B.F. McGadney-Douglass, N.A. Apt and R.L. Douglass; Predictor of Transitions in Pre- and Early-Retirement Populations,' by N.G. Choi; `Participants' Attendance...
- The older you get, the more you talk about your ailments. SPITZENBERGER, RAY // East Bernard Express (TX);4/3/2014, Vol. 71 Issue 14, p4
The author shares his reflections on how people talk more about their medical ailments as they get older and mentions topics including older people's tendency to compare their medical conditions and prescriptions during conversations and the need to take a light-hearted attitude about ailments.
- Older Americans Living Longer, Less Disabled--But Fatter. // Tufts University Health & Nutrition Letter;May2006, Vol. 24 Issue 3, p3
The article reports on the health conditions of older people in the U.S., according to a study. The decrease in disability rates is mentioned. The diseases commonly suffered by older people are enumerated. The increase in obesity rates is also cited.
- (ADVICE) Hyperthermia: When It's Too Hot for Your Health. // Aging News Alert;7/23/2010, p7
The article reports that National Institute on Aging (NIA), part of the U.S. National Institutes of Health, has come up with some advice for helping older people avoid condition such as hyperthermia. Hyperthermia is an adverse medical condition which characterizes high body temperature caused by...
- The Top 10 Hot Topics in Aging. Morley, John E. // Journals of Gerontology Series A: Biological Sciences & Medical ;Jan2004, Vol. 59A Issue 1, p24
Presents the top 10 issues in geriatrics. Factors associated with cognitive decline in older persons; Outcomes of depression in older persons; Effects of habitual walking on older persons; Major factor associated with mortality in older persons.
- Longevity May Run in the Blood. // Tufts University Health & Nutrition Letter;Dec2003, Vol. 21 Issue 10, p2
Reports on the findings of a study from Albert Einstein College of Medicine in New York on the role of large cholesterol particles in the blood in protecting old individuals from age-related diseases. Details on the experiments that support the theory; Possible reason behind the phenomena;...
- BEST FRIENDS, INDEED. O'mara, John // Jacksonville Magazine;Jun2011, Vol. 27 Issue 6, p44
The article focuses on study published in the "Journal of American Geriatrics Society" which suggests that caring for a cat or dog helps older people overcome depression or loneliness.
- West Nile Virus: Knowledge, Behaviors, and Attitudes Among Seniors in Denton County, Texas. Henry, Lisa; Gullion, Jessica // Texas Public Health Association Journal;2005, Vol. 56 Issue 3/4, p8
Presents information on a study regarding the behaviors, attitudes and knowledge of seniors in Denton County, Texas on the West Nile Virus. Description of the West Nile Virus; Effects of the virus on people over the age of 50; Analysis of the knowledge, behaviors and attitudes of seniors...
- Myxoid liposarcoma in a 91-year-old patient. Sheffield, Brandon S.; Nielsen, Torsten O. // Molecular Cytogenetics (17558166);
Background Myxoid liposarcoma is a mesenchymal malignancy most commonly presenting in young adults. This tumor is known for its characteristic chromosomal rearrangement at the DDIT3 locus. Results We report a case of myxoid liposarcoma in a 91-year-old, the oldest known patient with this...