Schools Finding A Healthy Acceptance of Nutrition
- SNA Sees Healthy Boost. Salkin, Stephanie // FoodService Director;10/15/2006, Vol. 19 Issue 10, p38
The article presents the results of the School Nutrition Association's Back-to-School Trends Survey in the U.S. It has found that more than 71% of school districts have made notable efforts during the past two years to offer healthful meal choices through the National School Lunch Program....
- Soda sales OK in Denver schools. // FoodService Director;10/15/98, Vol. 11 Issue 10, p1
Reports on the decision of the Denver School District in Colorado to allow the sale of sodas during lunchtime with dedicated vending machines located just outside the lunchrooms. Provisions of Denver's competitive foods rule; Negotiation of a split-profits arrangement with machine operators.
- IN LOUISIANA DIST.: Summer poses labor shortage. // FoodService Director;07/15/2000, Vol. 13 Issue 7, p1
Reports on how the East Baton Rouge School District in Louisiana has braced for a sudden increase in summer feeding volume. Reason for the increase in the number of students attending summer school in 2000; District's problem with the shortage of food service workers.
- GLENDALE SCHOOLS KEEP MEALS LIVELY. // FoodService Director;10/15/2003, Vol. 16 Issue 10, p6
Reports on the Hard Hat program launched by the food service operator at Glendale Unified School District in California during the renovation of kitchens in several of its elementary schools, as of October 2003. Reason behind the program; Food items to be provided by the program.
- San Francisco school dist. targets 7% particip. gain. // FoodService Director;10/15/98, Vol. 11 Issue 10, p8
Reports on the California-based San Francisco Unified School District's aim to equal or beat 1998's seven percent participation increase by revamping its satellite sites, incorporating more fresh fruits and vegetables, and tying-in curriculum. Switch from traditional gable-top cartons to DuPont...
- Floresville invites meal applications. // Wilson County News;3/26/2014, p3E
The article reports on free and reduced-price meals for students offered by the Floresville Independent School District (ISD) of Texas and mentions that the ISD solicits meal applications for children in one household, as of March 2014.
- School vending machines offer unhealthy choices. // Endocrine Today;11/10/2008, Vol. 6 Issue 20, p7
The article discusses a study of the impact of changes in school food services and physical education classes on the risk for type 2 diabetes in middle school students, presented at the Obesity Society Annual Scientific Meeting in Phoenix, Arizona. Results showed that added sugar beverages were...
- Tips for Serving Vegetarian Meals in Schools. Niklas, Christina; Hobbs, Suzanne Havala // Vegetarian Journal;2005, Vol. 24 Issue 3, p11
Presents results of a survey of schools in the United States, to obtain practical information about how to successfully introduce and integrate vegetarian options into school menus. Citation of food and labor as major hurdles in trying to serve healthy meals to students; Challenge posed by...
- Where do we go from here? Martin, Charlotte // Vending International;Aug2006, Vol. 40 Issue 8, p10
The article discusses the issues concerning vending machine and health in schools in Great Britain. The author questions on the compliance of schools to the guidelines of the white paper. Several schools are facing tough decisions that need to be quick as products suitably fitting with the...